A day with Dad!

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Thorny

A day with Dad!

Post by Thorny »

Hi Guys
If I am lucky I get one chance to get my Dad out for some Frostbite Fishing each fall. Today was the day. Cowboy came along to help run the rods and put Dad on some Salmon. He doesn't do well in the cold these days so we got a late start. Launched around 9am. A nice morning at 25deg, bright sun and a light breeze. A very nice start to the day. We set the spread and made a pass through Whalens with no luck. Bait seemed extremely deep today. 120 to 150 with very few fish scattered above it. So we went on the hunt. Spent a couple hours exploring some different spots with only some juvenile Lakers to show for it. So far we have had lots of time to tell Dad stories about how great the fishing has been but not much to show for it.The south wind picked up and we decided to return to the deep bait in Whalens. This year when the bite has been slow one of my secret weapons has been an Echip Flasher and spoon. We dropped one down as we headed back in the bay. It didn't take long before the rod with the Echip was pounding. Here dad grab the rod! After several runs and more jumps than any of us could remember I thought I had a shot at it with the net. No not yet, one more run and a couple more jumps and finally in the net. Off the hook before it hit the bottom of the net. A nice fat 23 that tipped the scales at 5.5lbs. Mission accomplished! Break out the Brandy! Fun banter on the radio today with Hejack and Tuck, Crabman and Daboat and Reggie riding with Supercab. Another awesome day on Champlain!
See you on the water
Thorny
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
Kamel
Species: Those With Fins

Re: A day with Dad!

Post by Kamel »

Awesome!

Glad you got out with Dad!
Image Image The Canned One Image
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

What a great day on the water with your dad.
Even if the fish were not very cooperative, I am sure he enjoyed spending good time with you.
Your fishing experience surely helped getting that nice salmon to bite . Thanks for sharing.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Ludo
Species: Salmon, salmon and trout

Post by Ludo »

Nice ! :)
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Handsome salmon there.

If anyone was going to drum one up it would be you!

100 plus feet....?????WTF
Fish On!
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Yes sir...... I would have been shocked if you hadnt pulled it off!
Todd
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Way to get your Dad on a pig! Nice report as always Thorny... Thanks for the read.
dragnballs
Species: if it swims, Iwill fish for it

Post by dragnballs »

Nicely done buddy!!! Great that the weather worked out so you could get your dad on a good fish
Kevin
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Well done!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Well done again, Capt! Deep e-chips, a well proven but strange pattern for Frostbite season. It's funny though, my last two trips out my graph has been so blank that I wondered if it was working. Then I expanded the scale range from 100 to 150 and I found the bait I was looking for. Every year it's something different and the trick is in the figuring it out.
JoeCotton
Species: salmon, trout, stripers

Post by JoeCotton »

A most enjoyable read and a fine picture, Thorny. Thanks. I've sometimes encountered that very deep bait--on Champlain, and also on Otsego. I assumed they were ciscos or white perch, and when I fish that deep, we often discover that our lure was taken by one of them, without tripping the rod. When you see those very deep clouds on your screen, do you generally send your lures down there?
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Great result and mission accomplished Rob!
Fishdawg
Species: Salmon

Post by Fishdawg »

Nice going Rob! Glad you were able to make it happen for your dad. I'm real excited about deer season, but all this fish action is certainly causing me some distraction.
Wellsley (Frank)

Post by Wellsley (Frank) »

Nice, memories for a lifetime.