1/17/13 Blood Bath at Split

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
digitroll (ron)

1/17/13 Blood Bath at Split

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Permission from Todd to post this thread.

Here goes:

First time guest Lazy C's (Mike) joined us today on Todd's C-Dory as we all met at the ramp at 8:40 am just as the front hit with winds switching out of the North. Motored over to Split rock in 1.5 ft seas as it was very fishable to begin the day. Todd and Mikey put there stud programs out with 4 riggers with cheaters and two color leads out each side as I piloted the big C out in the ozone. Third time on this boat and today had that fishy feel to it.

Things were quiet the first 45 minutes with a lake trout and a salmon landed. Todd took over the driving and after 10 minutes all hell broke loose with 5 salmon on at once with one biggy about 22". Only one rigger was left in the water as we landed all 5 salmon. Quad + 1! Now the pressure was off and the next 1.5 hours was just as fun with a triple and many bites. Things really roughed up to 5 footers as we pulled the plug around 11:30 am. Ended up with 15 salmon + 3 or 4 lake trout and 25 bites for 3 hours of fishing. 3 fish over 20".

Nothing specific as they hit a little of everything and it was a crazy bite at times.

Awesome day and thanks Todd and Mike! See everyone at the workshop tomorrow evening!

Photo's back on the trailer:

popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Re: 1/17/13 Blood Bath at Split

Post by popster »

Sounds crazy. Good stuff
Bill
"POINTER"
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Sounds like a hell of a time at split!
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Sounded like it was Fun, and Fish Too!

Hey now that's Frostbiting.

Have to work till Tuesday but see you all tomorrow nite.

Here is a video of Lunch being delivered to the boys out today ......or not ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC2XIGMI2kM

Fish safely.
Fish On!
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Outstanding report, but leave some without sore lips for the rest of us!! I remembered Todd posted that he'd be out today, and as it started to get windy and cold I was thinking how great that CDory must have been, about the same time you were getting off the water. Jealousy is an ugly mistress! Hope to see you tomorrow night!
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

One of those days!!

To be remember!!
Shaye D Winds

Post by Shaye D Winds »

Hey guys,

Nicely done. Sounded like an excellent trip.

Don
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Incredible... 5 tight lines and 5 in the box... you can only dream about this.

Thanks for sharing that great sensation.

Todd, you have a hell of a nice boat :) :)
You should put winter wipers on it.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

This was an "all Hands on Deck Day" and I was lucky to have Mike and Ron to help work the boat. Those two guys landed 5 fish all at once with 3 footers sloshing us around....... I of course was in the was cozy cabin shouting FISH ON..... It was very much like a episode of "deadliest Catch" with me behind the wheel with my coffee and donut yelling out to the crew in the nastiest conditions imaginable.
Tons of fun and three hours on the lake I will not soon forget!
"gold" was the color dujour
Todd
Todd
nwhavnbill
Species: salmon/trout

Post by nwhavnbill »

Sounded like a fast and furious mourning boyees! I am jealous. I cant wait to ride in the Dory!(hint, Hint)
Bill
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)
Species: ANY FISH THAT WANTS TO PLAY!!

Post by FISHCRAZY(LALLY) »

I just ate my last Atlantic fillets....... looks like I need to come work VT and see what all the HUBUB about this C-Dory is!!!! 8-)
" IN MY EYES ALL FISH ARE CREATED EQUALLY"
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Todd's Bio aka Capt. Sid

For nearly two decades, Sig has seen to it that the Northwestern is one of the Alaskan crab industry's top producers. Sig considers this performance essential, but he'll tell you that a greater accomplishment by far is the lack of any major accidents onboard the Northwestern. The best captains bring home the catch — and boat and crew — safely.

lazycs

Post by lazycs »

Thanks Todd for a true frost bite morning on the berring sea, we where really into the fish, to get all five in the boat without a single tangle was a good thing. glad that happened in 3 footers and not the 5's we ended the day in... yup it was a wild morning,pounding on the reel to get the ice off it so you could turn the handle, having to melt the ice in the eyes of the pole in your mouth so you could reel the line in, waves big enough you could slide the fish into the back of the boat without the use of a net. oh ya, i liked your answer when i asked what has been working and you grabbed a container full of spoons and dumped them on the seat and said these, you where right.. hell of a job getting us back across it sure was good to see the ramp lol. your boat looked like a popsicle. can't wait for warm weather, thanks again...
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Looks and sounds cold but fun guys. Thanks for the look.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
plantstone

Post by plantstone »

that's a serious game you had going. 25 releases in 3 hrs? was fathead hiding somewhere onboard. looks like it would be a real blast to fish on the cdory glad y'all dialed em in