Fair Haven Report

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
jusfishin
Species: Salmon

Fair Haven Report

Post by jusfishin »

Thanks to Reelax and Fathead for posting my updates......I don't even really know where to start......we had similiar results from the other post, the fishery is on fire...Hottest setups for us were.....thunderstick pumpkinseed, black and silver yozuri(make sure you swap out the hooks, they are garbage from the factory), but at times everything worked, didnt really matter as long as you had lines in the water, doubles, triples, quads...nuts all week. Sticks were running 75 back, and 100 back most of the time...Rigger bite was just awesome this year, 42nd spoon, DW SS, DW monkey puke, Wolferine Green Skirt, Carmel Dolphin.....all rippin.....the king fishing is on fire.....we had great difficulty landed them on 8 and 10 lb flourocarbon, and 10.5 ft noodle rods(we were ill prepared for kings) but we still landed a bunch of them over the course of the week..the guys setting up for them in the 30-50 ft range were lighting them up all day, everyday....down 15-20....we had a big blow on Tuesday and I thought it might change it, it pushed even more Chinny's in to the skinny, we caught them in 6 ft of water.....just plain craziness......

Gerry and Andre,
I had to come home early for work, but alot of my crew is still there, I believe in the cabin right next to where your staying...we have cabin 2. The boys know your coming, stop in and see them, they will give you the latest......bring your king gear......if the water clears inside, the outside fishing is as good as it gets.......Good luck guys.....should be a great week for you.....
digitroll (ron)

Re: Fair Haven Report

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Stellar report Scott! Congratulations on an outstanding trip. Lake Ontario has the best fishing on the planet.

Anyone that has a boat it's a must visit. This is the good old days!

Good summary and great stuff!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks a lot Scott for the report.
I will be heading down on Saturday, until next Thursday.
I will knock on the cabin's door as soon as I arrive.
Unfortunately Andre will not be able to make it this time, but I told him we will take a lot of pictures.

Weather seems to be cooling off this weekend, with forecast of rain most of the coming week. As long as the wind stays calm, we should be OK.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
jusfishin

Post by jusfishin »

The word today was a slow pick Gerry, and no Kings........they aren't far I'm sure, perhaps just lock jaw with 80 degrees and a flat lake...I am confident you will do well.....its a great facility, and during the week you will literally have the entire campground to yourself.....we were the only cabin filled during the week...and the only truck at the launch for 3 days straight.....my crew is leaving Sunday, but I'm sure they will fill you in...9 mile point, which is about 4 miles east of the chute has been unbelievable, just give the point due respect, it comes up really quick, then drops off hard...we pounded every flavor of fish there all week.....you will see some log cabins prior to that, stick the shore there, then slide wide around the point......I know the boys will fill you in......if you have other questions give me a shout, 802-363-7004. Give em hell......!
lazycs

Post by lazycs »

great trip Scott, you guys put a whooping on them, its trips like that that keep us going back again and again.

hope your crew finish there trip with even more luck.

like to see more pics of the fish we talked about on the phone.

once again congrats on a outstanding trip...
jusfishin

Post by jusfishin »

Thanks guys,
Mike, I will swing by with pics, I'm working all weekend, will stop in Monday or Tuesday....we had quite a debate over it.....I will post one here as well when I get my stuff unpacked and dig out the camera so other's can weigh in as well.....
jusfishin

Post by jusfishin »

The boys hit the brownies well this morning, as the lake went flat they pushed out to 40 ft of water and pounded the steelies, some beauties.....all on boards and sticks....limited rigger bite for them, and no chinny's......
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks Scott.
Its Friday evening and its fishing preparation for Oswego.
Leaving tomorrow morning. It's gonna be FUN :D :D
MADSIERRA
Species: if it swims

Post by MADSIERRA »

Sounds like a great trip!....we were set up for the browns as well and those kings have a way of making quick work of 8 lb test and ultra light rods!
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

As we arrived in Fair Haven around 1pm Saturday, It was raining and windy. Weather was worsening as the day went along and predictions for the next 4 days were not good.
There was already 4'+ waves, my boat cannot handle that.
We spoke to Mike (Justfishing Captain) from Scott's screw that were staying in the cabin next to us. They did some superb fishing during their stay, but now, they were beat up, soaked, and half of the crew were dead asleep trying to recuperate.
Did some groceries and bait shopping, and talked to locals about our options. Not much to do but wait for weather to improve. Many other fishermen were packing earlier and heading home.
Got up early Sunday, no rain, but too windy to go on the lake. We drove to Oswego check if we could fish the river or the protected harbor. After talking to locals and bait shops, and checking the weather forecasts, we realized our chances of putting the boat in the water were almost null for the next 3 days.
We also heard of a bigger boat capsized on Saturday and one person still missing. Very sad news.

At noon, we decided to pack and head back home, no reason to waste our time there. Now I need to check with the boss if I can re post my vacations days at a more clement weather.

Too bad it did not work out as planned, but we look forward to give it another try if we have another chance.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Gerry,

Sorry to hear you were landlocked. Better to be safe on land during a blow than a statistic. Good luck rescheduling your vacation forward.
jusfishin

Post by jusfishin »

That is a real bummer Jerry.........long drive to not get on the lake.....I looked at NOAA and it looked like a tough week to be there...they were calling for 7 to 10's today......looks much better end of the week into next week.......the fish are there for sure......I hope you can get back out there.
Shake-n-Bake
Species: coldwater

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

Way to go jusfishin!
Sounds like a great time. It can't get any better than that. I'm still a tad tired from my 2 days on the water but can't wait to get back out there!
See you on the pond!