April Trib Browns

Share info on fishing Champlain.
FishForBrains
Species: Trout

April Trib Browns

Post by FishForBrains »

Hey Guys, just joined the site today. I've fished/Guided on Lake George for the past 25 years and recently moved to Plattsburgh while my better half is finishing some degree work at SUNY. Completely different fishery up here, but loving it so far. I'm getting my 17' Blue Fin up here in a week or so for ice-out and really looking forward to getting into some salmon! Loving all of the great info on here as well... I started fishing the NY tribs when they opened about a week or so ago and have been having a blast with the browns. Nothing huge, but much bigger than the browns I'm used to!
Last edited by FishForBrains on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: April Trib Browns

Post by Reelax »

Very nice browns.... Thanks for the looks and welcome north..
Matt B
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Welcome to the forum.
These are very nice browns.
Looking forward to more pics as you catch them.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Nice fish! Looks like a male salmon in Fall colors in the second picture. Rivers getting crowded over there yet?
FishForBrains

Post by FishForBrains »

Thanks guys, good surprise when I hooked up on the first cast of the season. It's been a little busy, but I really haven't seen anyone catching much. I did hearof a few others getting into a few browns though on Facebook. Not much luck for me or people I talked to at the mouth of the rivers yet but soon to change I'm sure... I've been fishing up river a ways and hooking into a lot more.

Got a new kicker mount, ez steer, planer boards, boat cover, wiring harness for the new SUV, and spoons/stickbaits today... Can't wait for the ice to go out! Been focusing on salmon in LG a bunch over the last couple years but the fishing just plain sucks for them there since they can't spawn. We boated just shy of 1500 lakers last year.... About a dozen salmon. Got a nice male for LG standards this fall though!

Matt

Post by Matt »

FishForBrains wrote:Thanks guys, good surprise when I hooked up on the first cast of the season. It's been a little busy, but I really haven't seen anyone catching much. I did hearof a few others getting into a few browns though on Facebook. Not much luck for me or people I talked to at the mouth of the rivers yet but soon to change I'm sure... I've been fishing up river a ways and hooking into a lot more.

Got a new kicker mount, ez steer, planer boards, boat cover, wiring harness for the new SUV, and spoons/stickbaits today... Can't wait for the ice to go out! Been focusing on salmon in LG a bunch over the last couple years but the fishing just plain sucks for them there since they can't spawn. We boated just shy of 1500 lakers last year.... About a dozen salmon. Got a nice male for LG standards this fall though!

You fishing up high on the Saranac?
FishForBrains

Post by FishForBrains »

Yup, been up there a little. Have been fishing all 3 rivers on this side before and after work most days. Zero salmon. Thought I might find a couple hanging around near spawning spots still, but not sure if they hang around that long.
Last edited by FishForBrains on Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

Post by Matt »

FishForBrains wrote:Yup, been up there a little. Have been fishing all 3 rivers on this side before and after work most days. Zero salmon. Thought I might find a couple hanging around near spawning spots still, but not sure if they hang around that long. I'm just a noob
They won't be around the spawning gravel, but will be in the deeper pools after spawning, and then back to the Lake if they can get to it. Usually by the time Winter rolls around, they're out of the rivers. That's the case over on the VT side, not sure about the NY side. Also, that second picture you posted looks like it could be a salmon. They look exactly like that in the Fall. The males will look just like browns and even have brown spots and spots on the tail. If you're ever unsure, check the roof of the fishes mouth. A salmon will have ONE line of Vomerine teeth in the middle of the top of the mouth running towards the back of the fish, and the browns will have TWO rows, arranged in a zig-zag pattern. Another giveaway is the lack of spots below the lateral line. Notice all your other fish have larger and more condensed spotting below the lateral line.
FishForBrains

Post by FishForBrains »

Cool, good tips. I tried the pools near gravel beds with rapalas & spinners (fly rod snapped a week ago and waiting on replacement) but browns browns browns.. Can't complain though. I see what you're saying on that second pic, I think it might be the angle though? Big flat tail, spots on dorsal fin, and little longer jawline on that second one so am thinking brown?? I def haven't seen enough to readily tell though so will check the teeth in the future. That was the only one I caught way down river
Last edited by FishForBrains on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

Post by Matt »

FishForBrains wrote:Cool, good tips. I tried the pools near gravel beds with rapalas & spinners (fly rod snapped a week ago and waiting on replacement) but browns browns browns.. Can't complain though. I see what you're saying on that second pic, I think it might be the angle though? Big flat tail, spots on dorsal fin, and little longer jawline on that second one so am thinking brown?? I def haven't seen enough to readily tell though so will check the teeth in the future. That was the only one I caught way down river

I am leaning towards salmon. I have caught many salmon in spawn colors that look identical to that fish. Brown spotting, flat tail, spots on adipose and even a longer jawline. I think you might be running into holdover browns from the Fall which explains why there aren't many Salmon. I think Browns stick around longer than salmon. Still awesome fish though!
Thorny

Post by Thorny »

Hi FFB
Welcome to the forum. Back in the 80's Lake George had an outstanding Salmon Fishery. I remember the state record over 19lbs landed off Dome Is. Fishing pressure crushed it and regardless of stocking,it's never recovered. Lack of rivers would make sustaining a Salmon fishery virtually impossible. But I'm surprised they can't manage a better fishery with a stocking program. That spawning male is an Awesome Catch out of George! Congrats.
See ya on the water.
Capt Thorny
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
FishForBrains

Post by FishForBrains »

It's definitely a put and take fishery and the lack of rivers does make spawning basically impossible. You wouldn't believe where I've seen them trying to spawn. I was only a twinkle in my fathers eye in the early 80's when the salmon fishing was better than the laker fishing... Wish I could have been around to experience it. Back then, the stocking program was SO much better than it's been for the last 30 years. They used to stock the lake by boat, but switched to stocking in streams and 90%+ would get eaten by bass, lakers, etc before they had a chance to grow. A few years ago they switched to stocking the sebago strain salmon which is a lot heartier, and are now stocking by boat again - and are stocking salmon up to 14". A lot of the guides that are part of the fishing alliance help with it now, I'll have to post some pics in a few weeks when we do it again. It's pretty cool to be a part of. But I'm hopeful it'll turn around soon with all the positive changes.
bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

Fished northern Lake George a lot in the 80's. Rogers rock area. Very good salmon fishery then. The smelt dipping in the feeders really hurt the forage base until they ceased it which I really think hurt the salmon fishery also.
fishfarmer
Species: Piscies

Post by fishfarmer »

Back in the mid 90's we used to go over Hague during the smelt run and try our luck for salmon and lakers. We got to see a big pod of smelt run the brook...the gulls were going crazy! It would be nice to see the salmon come back.

We do a similar program of fall stocking bigger salmon in Lake Dunmore, pike are probably the biggest predator. The lake does give up some nice salmon once in a while.