Kicker motor

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
Jdavismmu
Species: Variety

Kicker motor

Post by Jdavismmu »

Hi everyone. I have a 115 Mercury 4 stroke on a 19 ft Starcraft. I use a drift sock for trolling. I am thinking about getting a kicker motor. No idea where to even start. Thinking a 9.9 hp... Looking for opinions, pros/cons, what to get, etc. is it worth it in the long run? How much should I expect to spend? Thanks!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Kicker motor

Post by Reelax »

If its a newer Merc, you may want to look into a Mercmonitor troll control for it. I installed one on my Merc 90hp and it trolls down to 550rpm with 10rpm increments.. Nice system no need for bags or kicker...
Matt B
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Ditto
Committed (DA)
Species: Cold water

Post by Committed (DA) »

I agree with Reelax and C-Hawk. I dropped my kicker picked up the troll control and have never looked back.

Fish On

DA
When I grow up I want to be,
One of those harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
"I'll live and die a fisherman"
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Get troll control and spend the money you saved on auto pilot.
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

I tried the kicker with my main being a 90 2 stroke. Upgraded to the 115 Merc. 4 stroke, with the Merc. Troll control. Best decision. Your 115 has to be EFI and Merc. powerhead. Yamaha made some early ones and won'the accept the unit. Great investment.
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

Jdavismmu wrote:Hi everyone. I have a 115 Mercury 4 stroke on a 19 ft Starcraft. I use a drift sock for trolling. I am thinking about getting a kicker motor. No idea where to even start. Thinking a 9.9 hp... Looking for opinions, pros/cons, what to get, etc. is it worth it in the long run? How much should I expect to spend? Thanks!
4-stroke 9.9 should work fine with that boat. I have one on my 19'. The beauty of a kicker is you are not putting huge hours on your main motor and you always have a back up to get home if anything goes wrong (hit ground, battery fried etc etc...) keeps you from getting stranded out there... The RPMs of the smaller motor get you up in the power band.

Add a Trollmaster Pro speed control and you are set. I also have a Garmin autopilot on my kicker but not necessary, helps mostly when I am fishing with my Dad so I can leave the helm to assist him.

Good luck!