Salmon advice IS north

Share info on fishing Champlain.
wesson357
Species: trout

Salmon advice IS north

Post by wesson357 »

Hi,
I'm used to fish the St-Alban bay area for bass in the spring time (april-may) but never tried there for salmon.
We never see fishing reports north of the Keeler bay so, I guess it's not so good for salmon. Anybody have any experience to share about the north side of the inland sea ?
Thanks guys !
Mat
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Re: Salmon advice IS north

Post by fishmaster176 »

Now is your best time to find out. If not, a short trip down the Georgia shoreline should produce a silver or 2. I caught them up past the tip of Savage Island, north of the Van Everest launch, last May, so you're not far from there. As soon as this latest visit from the ice age leaves us, I'll be headed up to try my luck.
Lazybones
Species: The dumb ones

Post by Lazybones »

I caught my first ever Salmon off the rocks at Kilcare, mid-April 1982.

I know at least one LCI winning salmon has been caught a stones throw from Ball I.

With suitable water temps we've caught salmon from a hundred yards off the bay dock and out.

I heard smelt were being caught in the bay this winter.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Salmon are caught every spring off the town dock across the road from the Bay Store, so they could be anywhere in the bay now. As fishmaster said, Georgia shore is always good, as well. Let us know how you make out!
wesson357
Species: trout

Post by wesson357 »

Thanks guys ! I'll try that the next time I'll go !
goldeneye13
Species: Cold water

Post by goldeneye13 »

Hey guys,
I m from alburg and i will tell you thAt with the lamprey issue fishing in the IS has been very slow in the past 5 years. We use to catch 4 lbs salmon in keeler bay and by the green maker in st albans bay. Now. You re lucky when you get a 18 inch salmon on. I live next to the island and i make the trip dow south to get descent and good fishing. I do have to admit that the salmon fishing as been better in the past 3 years but never like it use to be. A lot of effort has been
Put in lamprey control and it's gona take a year or to for it to get descent or better.

It s just my opinion.

Fred