Boat insurance

Share info on fishing Champlain.
VTgooseman
Species: Fish with Teeth!

Boat insurance

Post by VTgooseman »

Feel free to move this if its not in the right area. What is everyone using for insurance on your boats? Not that my boat is a 50k rig but if something major happened it would save me a lot of out of pocket. Thoughts?
FishForBrains
Species: Trout

Re: Boat insurance

Post by FishForBrains »

I think I read on here that a lot of guys use progressive... Couple hundred for a year of good coverage. We use charter lakes for our Charter Boat since they had the best price for the coverage and liability we needed but not sure how it would be for regular insurance - worth calling as well I'm sure.
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

I have Progressive and also don't have an expensive rig. I have $15k on the boat, but don't have the liability numbers in front of me. It never seems to be enough in this lawsuit crazy world. I also have equipment coverage. My premium is under $200 a year. Not bad, considering my snowmachine is about the same and I only get to use that about 5 times a year. You can get a quote online and be insured in minutes. I went through my local agent, because they had informed me that my homeowners wouldn't allow me the coverage that I desired. Haven't had to file a claim. That's when you find out how good your coverage really is. Good luck. Fred
Tire Jockey
Species: All

Post by Tire Jockey »

I use seaworthy, great rates
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

fishmaster176 wrote:I have Progressive and also don't have an expensive rig. I have $15k on the boat, but don't have the liability numbers in front of me. It never seems to be enough in this lawsuit crazy world. I also have equipment coverage. My premium is under $200 a year. Not bad, considering my snowmachine is about the same and I only get to use that about 5 times a year. You can get a quote online and be insured in minutes. I went through my local agent, because they had informed me that my homeowners wouldn't allow me the coverage that I desired. Haven't had to file a claim. That's when you find out how good your coverage really is. Good luck. Fred
It's scary to think about all of the totally uninsured boats on the lake. Even if you just have liability, it's a small price to pay should anything bad happen out there. I also hope to never have to file a claim on my poor-man's rig.
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

I'm surprised that liability insurance isn't mandatory. I think it goes along the same category as senior citizens driving 50' long RV's without anything more than a regular license, but a man must have a CDL to drive any vehicle over 26' long. Sounds quite political to me, because it defies common sense.
Thorny

Post by Thorny »

BOAT US
They do boats. Lots of them!
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

Boat insurance has always seemed like a bad deal for the insurers (i.e. good deal for the consumer). You couldn't pay me enough to insure a boat. I know to much about what can go wrong.

Ditto on snowmobile insurance!
Actually make that double ditto!
Black Ghost (Ken)