Question/opinion about price for 9.9 motor

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

Question/opinion about price for 9.9 motor

Post by cpmaple »

Hello all I have the chance to pick up a 2001 9.9 mercury 2 stroke for a kicker motor. Wondering if what the guy is asking is a reasonable price for it. $300 is what he is asking for it only reason he is selling is because he bought a bigger motor for his alum. boat. Please let me know what you all think gonna let me take it this weekend and try it out and see if it will push my boat ok which is a 22' sylvan offshore thanks chad (cpmaple)
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Re: Question/opinion about price for 9.9 motor

Post by fishingmachine »

sounds like a fair price to me if the compression is good in both cylinders. A 9.9 will troll that boat just fine but will not turn it into a hard wind, good luck
Danl851
Species: Cold Water Species

Post by Danl851 »

I have a 9.9 Merc Four Stroke on my 21 Sylvan Offshore and it works great. No problems at all.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

The price is very reasonable, as long as the engine is in good condition.
Check for easy starting, smooth idling and running, no blue smoke when starting it.
Try starting when cold, and when hot.
Rotate prop shaft by end and check end of shaft center is true.
If possible check oil color and texture in the foot gearbox. Metal residue means worn gears, brownish color indicates worn water seal.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
cpmaple

Post by cpmaple »

Thanks for all the input the gentleman that has it works with me and only uses it 10 or 12 times a year to go down the river with it most of the time he drifts down river and motors back. gonna try it out this weekend on my 12' row boat and see how it runs then i will worry about putting it on the big boat if nothing more i will have a motor for my small boat if i want to go into smaller body of water in the area. cpmaple
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

Sounds like a great price for an '01 9.9 engine. I don't want to upset anyone, but a 2 stroke should smoke some, especially when cold. Look in Craigslist and older versions are for sale for twice that amount. Good luck. Fred
Caiman (Shawn)
Species: Multi

Post by Caiman (Shawn) »

cp,
If you don't buy it....I will, and I don't even have a boat to put it on. That's a great price if it's mechanically sound.
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt
flyguy
Species: atlantic salmon

Post by flyguy »

Good price! If the motor checks out, you'll probably be happy with it...until you try a newer Merc 4-stroke 115, whereupon you will never think about having a kicker again. Sounds like it hasn't been trolled with much, which is good news for a 2-stroke. It'll troll for you, but not a lot of kicker for such a big boat.
MADSIERRA
Species: if it swims

Post by MADSIERRA »

I have a 27 foot Baha Cruiser that with 4 people in the boat and fueled up weight is over 8000 lbs. I have a mercury 4 stroke 9.9 bigfoot. I have had this set up for almost 5 yrs and fish many days on Lake Ontario in 3-5 footers and some days even bigger....I can't recall EVER not being able to troll with just the kicker...a 9.9 will push your sylvan all day in anything you & your boat can handle. good luck...& motor sounds like good deal to me.
cpmaple

Post by cpmaple »

Have the motor in hand gentleman gonna let me try it out and make sure but from all the replies I think its a go. In great shape been well taken care of. Now to mount it and give it a try but that wont be till Friday since I have a fishing trip planned for morning with a friend.
chuckrudy
Species: trout--

Post by chuckrudy »

Hope the motor works for you. You got a real deal.