spring tips

Share info on fishing Champlain.
will nolan (swilly)
Species: whatever bites!

Re: spring tips

Post by will nolan (swilly) »

thats the type of response i was hoping for. as always this forum rocks. the willingness to offer such information is priceless. I am using inline planers with jointed rapalas 3.5 inch. I also am going to try mini slide divers this year for the first time. I bought mini and litebites to try the down and out method. I also bought church tx22 and tx6 inline planers to try. I also am going to try a leadcore setup for the first time. thanks to all you fellas for the advice along the way. i am excited at trying new techniques. I always produce large numbers of fish june on. plan to target shallow and early this year. good luck and tight lines to you all. its going to be a great season.
Will nolan "swilly"
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Will - Don't be afraid to throw some even smaller stickbaits into the mix ...
will nolan (swilly)

I picked up some 2.5 inches as well. I was back and forth on the size.
Will nolan "swilly"
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

will nolan wrote:I picked up some 2.5 inches as well. I was back and forth on the size.

Will the J9's you are used to will hammer the lakers.. But for salmon we use VERY small stickbait... 2-2.5" don't look like much, but when they got locjaw on spoons in the spring they are the go to bait.
Matt B
will nolan (swilly)

Thanks reelax. Guess that explains why I came up so short last spring. I'll pick up some 2"ers as well.
Will nolan "swilly"
robbartley
Species: all

Post by robbartley »

Great tips guys, thanks for sharing.
fishfarmer
Species: Piscies

Post by fishfarmer »

I'm going to wait until I hear they are biting at Donovans, then dig me some worms, bring the chairs, spinning tackle, the dog and hopefully the fiancé with her guitar :D . I got some other spots picked out, just waiting for the thaw.
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

fishfarmer wrote:I'm going to wait until I hear they are biting at Donovans, then dig me some worms, bring the chairs, spinning tackle, the dog and hopefully the fiancé with her guitar :D . I got some other spots picked out, just waiting for the thaw.
Now THAT'S fishing. Brings back fond memories of the springtime Bull Pout fishing events/parties we had in my younger years. Don't remember catching fish, but we had a helluva time. :D
FishForBrains
Species: Trout

Post by FishForBrains »

Hey guys, just joined the forum today. Love the atmosphere of this site!! Love all of the helpful people and information on here. I just moved to Plattsburgh 2 months ago. so have some learning to do and appreciate all the info. Been having lots of fun on the tributaries over the past week and 1/2 with some really nice browns up to 6 lbs, but can't wait to get into some salmon once that ice goes out! Should be soon!!
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

FishForBrains wrote:Hey guys, just joined the forum today. Love the atmosphere of this site!! Love all of the helpful people and information on here. I just moved to Plattsburgh 2 months ago. so have some learning to do and appreciate all the info. Been having lots of fun on the tributaries over the past week and 1/2 with some really nice browns up to 6 lbs, but can't wait to get into some salmon once that ice goes out! Should be soon!!

Welcome aboard... The fun is just beginning... Is there open water you can see south of Platzburg yet?
Matt B
FishForBrains

Post by FishForBrains »

Nothing that I can see yet. I'm in Albany for work right now, but the other day the only thing I saw open was the mouth on the rivers. Still a few guys out ice fishing!
FishForBrains

Post by FishForBrains »

When you guys say "blades" are you talking about christmas trees/cowbells or literally blade baits? I already have a bunch of stingers, flies, and misc spoons... but placing an order today or tomorrow to include some bx minnows & krocodiles. Any other suggestions?

What about mooselooks, anybody use them at all? They are the go-to where I'm used to fishing but haven't heard much about them up this way.
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

Cow bells..... Make sure to get some honeybees and crazyivans they are goto lake Champlain salmon spoons.
FishForBrains

Post by FishForBrains »

Awesome, thank you. I'll have to take a trip across the pond soon