Drift Sock Size

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Drift Sock Size

Post by Del Gue »

Thanks for all the help on my earlier post about switching to digital cable to try and control the trolling speed for my boat. Turns out, the boat will move along at 2.2-2.4 mph in no wind. I'm also adding a new throttle cable for extra control for fine tuning.

However, when I turn downwind in a steady breeze the speed creeps up too high for my liking. It's a 21' boat and weighs about 3500 pounds. Any gouge on a size drift sock to knock off about .2-.4 mph?
Thanks
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
MADSIERRA
Species: if it swims

Re: Drift Sock Size

Post by MADSIERRA »

make sure you get a trolling bag...not a drift sock. most drift socks will not hold up to trolling. Amish outfitters make the best ones but they are some what $$... Big papa sportfishing also makes some very good ones. both web sites will tell you what size you need.
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Re: Drift Sock Size

Post by Del Gue »

MADSIERRA wrote:make sure you get a trolling bag...not a drift sock. most drift socks will not hold up to trolling. Amish outfitters make the best ones but they are some what $$... Big papa sportfishing also makes some very good ones. both web sites will tell you what size you need.
Thanks, good to know!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.