lake O browns

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
slider
Species: trout

lake O browns

Post by slider »

Reading your brown trout plans makes me wish spring was here..I've been thinking of a trip to Lake Ontario too this spring..But was considering the mid May time line..Wondering if I'm planing to late in the spring..Planned on hitting either Mexico Bay or Fair Haven..Any help be much appreciated..Also whats the average temp up there in May.
Flashpoint
Species: trout/salmon/stripers

Re: lake O browns

Post by Flashpoint »

Your right on the money! Last year from Mexico to Oswego & over to Fair Haven was on fire right through mid June. Early in the spring look for them shallow close to shore, concentrate near river mouths...a couple of degrees can make a big difference. Now by mid to late May & into June they are steadily heading a bit deeper. You want to find water where the temp break meets the bottom, usualy any where from 50 - 85fow or so. Early spring is running stick baits off from planers. But by mid may your probably looking at more of a rigger bite. Dont be afraid to mix in a dipsie or a 5 color core. The biggest browns of the season come in June as they start to mix into depths that work near structure. We still catch them mixed in with Kings in August on Flasher flys & Spoons, but not in the numbers that you see in early summer.
Any where on the east end is hot! Give it a try....you wont be dissapointed!
slider
Species: trout

Post by slider »

Thanks for the advice Flashpoint..Sounds like areas to fish for browns on the Big O is very similiar to the tactics I use on the Catskill Mtn Reservoirs in southern NY..At least areas to fish are the same..After 40 years of rowing and drifting bait for those beautiful critters kinda wearing me out..So I go out with charter capt.'s more now than i ever did. Spring Brown trout charter is on my to do list this year..Thanks again for ur in put..Love this forum mostly a spectator. So have a great season and tite lines to ya....Slider
Shake-n-Bake
Species: coldwater

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

Great advice Flashpoint.
See you on the pond!