Sure Strike report 09/02/11

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Sure Strike report 09/02/11

Post by Captain Paul »

It was hard going today 2 to 4 footers closer to 4 most of the time lots of dirty water debri was not that bad but lots of grass and weeds fished salmon for several hours caught 1 small mouth bass, 6 ciscos,and 2 yellow perch that must have been lost they where out over 300 feet of water.Temp was 50 degrees at 110 feet 55 at 80 feet and 60 at 70 feet. switched over to laker's and that was even slower managed one laker at 95 feet 17" long and he was bleached out so I think the dirty water goes all the way to the bottom back at it tommorow hopfully with better luck

www.fishvermont.com
JK47
Species: All Species

Re: Sure Strike report 09/02/11

Post by JK47 »

Hats off to you just for making it. The sandbar had some nice caps on it so I can only imagine.

Thanks for the report!
Hugues
Species: Cold water fishes and Walleyes

Post by Hugues »

Dedication !

Congrats.
Hugues
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Capt. Paul,

Your a trooper with todays conditions and Irene's leftover rath. Great temp. profile reported. Thanks for the report!
plantstone

Post by plantstone »

It seems like it will take a while for the lake to settle down, especially with this weekends forecast.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Those are tough conditions Capt...
Thanks for the report.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
digitroll (ron)

Paul,

Can I pick your brain and Rich if you talk to him. Capt. Paul from Champ charters once wrote in his monthly Outdoors Journal that big lakers like temps. in the low 40's it seemed this time of year. Have you or Rich ever tried 150 to 180 feet dragging bottom on flats this time of year? I know September has been a bust for us the few times we fished the same depths that we fished in June July August. Could it be possible these big fish are deeper in the basement?

R
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

Ron yes the deepest I caught fish last year was 150 and R ich told me the deepest he ever caught one was 168
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Wednesday I was on the lake and there was a lot of fish in the 140-150 ft. of water
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:Paul,

Can I pick your brain and Rich if you talk to him. Capt. Paul from Champ charters once wrote in his monthly Outdoors Journal that big lakers like temps. in the low 40's it seemed this time of year. Have you or Rich ever tried 150 to 180 feet dragging bottom on flats this time of year? I know September has been a bust for us the few times we fished the same depths that we fished in June July August. Could it be possible these big fish are deeper in the basement?

R
There is a book that I once recommended on the other forum called

COMPLETE FISHING HANDBOOK FOR NEW YORK STATE'S FABULOUS FINGER LAKES TROUT
By Earl Holdren

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Fishing- ... B000MTRRXC

In that book, he made the statement that the maximum preferred temp. for Lake Trout was 48 degrees. I fished that temp. for years for Lakers in Cayuga Lake and in Lake Ontario and was never disappointed! Yes, we caught them in other temps ... but 48 degrees was magic.

I honestly don't believe that depth has anything to do with Lake Trout. The right temp and forage and 250' is not uncommon. There is one species of Lakers in Lake Superior in particular that is found a lot deeper than that! In the Finger Lakes, Lake trout spawn in 80+ feet of water on the bottom!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

I concur with Paul's temp/depth readings. They were astounding for this time of year, but considering the major winds we had recently, it makes sense. We were West of Juniper on Thursday 9-1 and this is a copy of the CTD we took in 313'. 50F at 100', then it drops off.
(note: red line is temp) Water was chocolate color with dangerous debris, similar to the spring conditions.

Bill
"POINTER"
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Bill, that is the coolest chart! Thanks for putting it up.
Blue is dissolved oxygen? I see the level of oxgen take off upward at 63 or 64°, am I reading that correctly?
If I am, is that typical on Champlain? Oxygen levels begin to climb @ less than low sixties temp, and fall @ greater than mid sixties temp?
Or does it vary...always changing?
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
digitroll (ron)

Bill,

That is very interesting data. At what number does the dissolved oxygen become an issue for lake trout?
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)
Species: ANY FISH THAT WANTS TO PLAY!!

Post by FISHCRAZY(LALLY) »

COOL stuff!!! :shock:
" IN MY EYES ALL FISH ARE CREATED EQUALLY"
4cs
Species: Salmon, Trout

Post by 4cs »

One of the advantages of being the captain of the Melo, you have access to all these great toys. LOL

Pat
Crazy Ivan Lures

http://www.crazyivanlures.com/

Eat, Sleep, Fish and then a Crown Royal