Charters in Oswego?

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
Dockside

Charters in Oswego?

Post by Dockside »

We are planning a few trips to the Big "O"! Any ideas who would do the rivers and the lake? We just want to get a few pointers and maybe find a place to keep a boat for the season.

Flashpoint this is where you show up at the store tomarrow with coffee and doughnuts :D
drachma
Species: Salmon, Lake Trout

Re: Charters in Oswego?

Post by drachma »

Hey Ben,

The best person I know is Brian Davis who owns Catch The Drift charters. Email is catch-the-drift.com

Been on the Oswego several times with a friend from over there and he is fantastic.

Michael
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Reelsilver in Mexico Bay seems a good one too.
scavanau

Post by scavanau »

drachma wrote:Hey Ben,

The best person I know is Brian Davis who owns Catch The Drift charters. Email is catch-the-drift.com

Been on the Oswego several times with a friend from over there and he is fantastic.

Michael
It's Kevin Davis. I've fished the summers on Oswego with Kevin on "Hattrick" for over 10 years. I can 2nd this recommendation. Kevin is the best.
Flashpoint
Species: trout/salmon/stripers

Post by Flashpoint »

Hey Ben....sorry It's been a few days since I have logged on! Yeah...i can ceratinly give you lots of info. As far as the Oswego River goes, either Kevin Davis Or Andy Bliss are your top goto guys. Now the Salmon River....I know tons of guides...but I have fished exclusively with Shane Thomas of Salmon River guides. Not only one of the top guides out there....just a super guy to spend the day with! I am fishing in March & April with him if that tells you anything!
Drop me aline...I am heading to Harrisburg for the Big show down there on Thursday...be gone for the week. We will certainly catch up after that! Tell ya anything you want to know bud!

Capt Matt
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Big Ben Kevin Davis is super check out his web site!!! Just google catch the drift charters! You wont be disappointed !!! Met him on Hat Trick charter 20 years ago!! This young man will put you on fish!!! Sleeps
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

Kevin is an excellent fisherman in that he knows his stuff. He knows the area well and is the man on the river for steelies in the winter in Oswego,

We fished with he and Jim for two days on Hattrick Charters this past Fall. They put us on fish when very few others were catching them (it was just after Irene) and they came highly recommended. That said, I got the impression that Jim (owner of Hattrick) is burned out after many years of charter fishing, he was not very enthusiastic. ...and Kevin is a great fisherman but in my opinion not much of a human being. He berated my young nephew, a first time salmon fisherman, because he did not "raise the pole up" when Kevin went to net the king...when in actuality my nephew did everything correctly and Kevin accidentally pinned the line against the trim tab and cut it. I saw it. But Kevin decided to jump all over a young kid for not raising the pole and on and on, he wouldn't stop for about 5 minutes. He just would not let up. I politely stepped in and said "let's get another one, that's not the first we've lost and not the last". Not sure if Kevin got up on the wrong side of the bed that day or what, he was fine the day before. So in the end, I think he is not much of a person. An hour or so later when he knocked the hook out of a brown with the net when my buddy was landing it he started to go bullsh&t again and when my buddy looked at him and said "did I do something wrong or something?" he stopped and mumbled "no I hit the hook with the net"

So as to not ruin a family trip I and took it up with JIm after the charter ended. Jim acknowledged that wasn't right, but with about as much feeling as a turnip.

So as a friend said, "you pay to get put on fish" and they did do that. You don't pay em to be decent human beings. Too bad. Unfortunately, it soured the whole trip.
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Vtfishin I agree with you about capt Jim !! I thought he was burnt out 10 years ago!!! But with that said Ill bet hattrick boats more and better sized fish out of Oswego than any other boat!!! Sleeps
riverrunner
Species: Salmonids

Post by riverrunner »

I have fished both the river and lake. They are both a great time! The 5 hr trip is worth it everytime! Whether its soakin egg sacks or draggin spoons its a great trip! Were going to head for browns in the spring on the lake. We did a fantastic trip this fall in the rivers for browns and steelys! Between myself and two of my buddies we landed 150 fish in a day and a half of fishing! It was crazy! Get out there and enjoy the fishing to be had out there!!!!
scavanau

Post by scavanau »

Sleepswithdafishes wrote:Ill bet hattrick boats more and better sized fish out of Oswego than any other boat!!! Sleeps
Absolutely. Jim knows where to find the fish, Kevin knows how to catch them. Both easy to get along with. Never had an issue with either. We always come home with full coolers.
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

oh yeah, and I forgot the highlight, when we returned to the dock on the second day they were lifting our catch out of the boat and they dropped one of our 25 lb Kings into the drink between the boat and dock. Sunk like a rock. :oops:
Dockside

Post by Dockside »

That's ok Razzle tossed a 6-7 pound steel head over the side trying to show off to another boat :)

It happens.