Favorite deep water slmon spread

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
Shake-n-Bake
Species: coldwater

Favorite deep water slmon spread

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

The spread that worked best for me last season was:
-2 wire dipseys (flasher/fly/meat)
-2 downriggers (flasher/fly/meat)
-1 450 copper (magnum spoon) down the chute

The 450 copper was a new addition for me and I'm glad I tried it. It accounted for many large fish.

Curious to hear what worked for others.
See you on the pond!
Flashpoint
Species: trout/salmon/stripers

Re: Favorite deep water slmon spread

Post by Flashpoint »

Hey Shake -n-bake. I run a simular spread, Riggers on the outside, wire dipsies outside of that with a Meatball thumper down the chute. This year i am going to add an extenable boom to one of my rear rigggers(turn it to the chute to get around my kicker). On a good rigger bite day run that rig. On a day when they are a bit spookier I run the the thunper with a couple of variations.
Now this year i have bought Otter boats & will be running copper on one side, with a full color core on the other(give me two more rods in the spread) Now I know what folks are thinking....full core will only get you down 35ft or so at 2.2 mph at the ball. well I have experimented with Dive Bomb trolling weights & they are the Cats azzz!! you can get them from 1oz to 10oz....add them to the depth you need....better the realing a 450 or 600 copper!!
put them to the test & see which one out fishs the other! Also am going to throw Torpedos trolling weights in there as well....all about being flexible!
Good luck...drop me a line with any questions!
Shake-n-Bake

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

Flashpoint,
Thanks for the feedback. I always enjoy reading your posts. I have only used the 4 oz and smaller Dive Bombs on leadcore and I really like them, I'll have to try the heavier sizes this year. I started using the Torpedo Musky last year, they get you deep in a hurry, not a lot of drag either. Otter Boats with Copper and Leadcore, that is getting serious! The copper is a beast to work with and you do have to be very careful to avoid kinks but some days it sure pays off. Spent the last few nights in the garage on preseason preparation and dreaming! Can't wait to get back on the water! I hope we all have a banner year!
See you on the pond!
bigfish
Species: salmon

Post by bigfish »

I like too run a 5 rigger 2 braid diver setup and 3 cores in 20-65 then go to a 3 rigger 2 wire diver 3 copper setup from 65-95 from 95-140 3 riggers 2 coppers 140-200 3 riggers 1-copper with weights Its all about depth and conditions to much junk on 4-6 footers spells disaster
Its all about conditions in 30 feet of water last year we ran 6 lead cores on boards Temp was at 27 feet and the trout where killin our cores basically try to give it to them where they want it and keep from tying everything in a knot.
I don't have a kicker in my way or an outdrive so its a bit easier too run a greater number of rods. With the three rod rule now in affect your going to see guys trying to run too many rods on the wrong day and then its a trip too the area tackle shops and the stories will be traveling about the guy trying to run to much stuff and knotted it up.
The best spread in my opinion is this -when fish mid day are concentrated between 70-90 feet utilizing three riggers 2 divers and 2 coppers Early in the morning or late in the evening fish will be cruising looking for a meal. Temp mainly means nothing but later as target depth is determined then its time too get the rods in the water. Its not about whats best its about what is the most effective based on conditions at hand. Every situation is different and variables come into play so give um what they want based on conditions and it will work.
Tightlines
Shake-n-Bake

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

Hey Bigfish,
Enjoyed all your posts last year. That is an impressive spread you deploy! I'll bet it puts plenty of fish in the box. I hope we are all on the water soon and the fish/weather cooperate!
See you on the pond!
bigfish
Species: salmon

Post by bigfish »

It will be soon. I expect things to be pretty good by early to mid march. With a minimal amount of snow and an abnormally warm winter. If it continues on this trend it will be early. If we get substantial rain in march things will get going quick. You could put in now at the Mexico launch if you wanted.
In 2009 I started on the lake the 9th of march. Never more than 1/2 mile from the launch. I'm normally in for the season no later than the 5th of April. I have too wait for my dock. I get the driftboat out as soon as I can get through the snow at the launch. Which could be done now.

It will be here sooner than you think!!

Tight lines
Dockside

Post by Dockside »

Great info guys!
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)
Species: ANY FISH THAT WANTS TO PLAY!!

Post by FISHCRAZY(LALLY) »

I apologize for the lack of posts, but Sep-March are VERY,VERY busy times for me in my working life. Some impressive thoughts and spreads here for sure. When fishing out of the little Yar-Craft I ran the following, keeping in mind I'm a bit of a fish whore so I'm just as happy catching a few steelies and Coho mixed in with the kings.

I Run a two rigger program. On the riggers I run Chips and flies. I run two Mag- Dipseys on Power-pro with Spin-Doctors and flies. Then depending on conditions I run the following. On rougher days (Most of them in my low sided Walleye boat) I stack spoons above the Chips on the riggers. On calmer days I run two additional Slide divers set to plane to the side and run Spin-Doc's on them and run them above the Dipsey's. I occasionally pic up an "out of temp" king on them, but mostly score on steelies and trout :D

I'm still a work in progress :lol: Sure do enjoy lake "O"!!!!
" IN MY EYES ALL FISH ARE CREATED EQUALLY"
MADSIERRA
Species: if it swims

Post by MADSIERRA »

On days when its not to rough I run a 4 rigger set with 2 dipsy's & will be running copper off the otterboards. 1 of my back riggers will almost always have a spoon on it and I run it as a "tailgunner" usually 60-80 feet back and 10-15 feet deeper than my other 3 riggers...somedays this is the hottest rod! when it gets a little rougher I usually go to 3 riggers keeping 1 as the tailgunner and 2 dipsy's. Hope to get out there for a few days to chase the browns before my charters start on the Hudson.