Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Apple island state launch

Post by Reelax »

Is the parking lot open yet????
JK47
Species: All Species

Re: Apple island state launch

Post by JK47 »

Yes it is. I used it last Friday and the lot was open.

The state did a good job on it. I'm not crazy about the ramp split down the middle like it is but the ramp itself is perfect. I also think the ramp lot should be a one-way loop as it's going to get crazy when it's packed. All in all it seems to be worth the wait. The dock structure is wonderful. Very well made and long enough to stage boats at both ends while another boat(s) launch or are retrieved. Enjoy!
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

Used it yesterday.. 3 boats at launch parking lot.... Great launch and parking. VERY nice setup now.
Matt B
will nolan (swilly)
Species: whatever bites!

Post by will nolan (swilly) »

is there a fee
Will nolan "swilly"
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

No...it's a state launch Will. "We" own it!!!. :mrgreen:
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Any luck fishing out of Apple Island, Reelax? I'm thinking about putting in there tonight and washing some spoons.
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

Crayfish wrote:Any luck fishing out of Apple Island, Reelax? I'm thinking about putting in there tonight and washing some spoons.
Couple of small salmon... Didn't try hard had Grandson aboard and we headed to the perchin spots for action....

I saw only a 10 deg water difference down to 80fow+ (62 deg at 85 fow) so still no thermocline setup, almost seems like lake flipped recently... Hard to salmon fish with temp profile like that.

I am going Sunday but am headed to broad lake... (can get under bridge easy at current lake level)

Good luck
Matt B
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Wow, that's strange that it hasn't set up a thermocline yet. I thought the inland sea flipped a few weeks ago. With the south wind forecasted for this afternoon, that's probably still the best place for us. Our little boat doesn't like whitecaps!

Thanks for the info and good luck to you, too!
will nolan (swilly)

any non ethanol gas stations in or around there
Will nolan "swilly"
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Go-go gas on Susie Wilson Rd in Essex Jct is the closest one I know of. I don't believe there are any non-ethanol stations in the islands, which makes no sense to me! I usually go to the Maverick station on Route 15 in Essex Center.

Edit ... I stand corrected! Thanks to your link in the General section, Will, I see that there are a few non-ethanol stations in North Hero and 1 in Grand Isle, but most of them are in marinas and such.
will nolan (swilly)

yeah i just found that link. pretty informative. thanks
Will nolan "swilly"
Macintosh
Species: drum

Post by Macintosh »

Is the launch actually open, or are people just parking there? I’ve put in there a couple times recently, and while each time there were plenty of people parked in the lot the “do not park beyond the boundary” signs were still clearly up on the fence every 20 feet. On one of those occasions people were simply driving right over the fence in the entrance to the lot itself, so I was not at all clear that it was truly “open”?? I didn't see anything on the fish and wildlife website, and the signs at the lot certainly did not make it look officially open?
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

Macintosh wrote:Is the launch actually open, or are people just parking there? I’ve put in there a couple times recently, and while each time there were plenty of people parked in the lot the “do not park beyond the boundary” signs were still clearly up on the fence every 20 feet. On one of those occasions people were simply driving right over the fence in the entrance to the lot itself, so I was not at all clear that it was truly “open”?? I didn't see anything on the fish and wildlife website, and the signs at the lot certainly did not make it look officially open?

There were no signs and I asked the guys mowing if I could park on the grass and they said it's open go for it!
Matt B
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

I like the divided launch ramp. It stops one user from hogging the ramp. It's nice to see our money being put to good use. Fish On.
will nolan (swilly)

launched last night july 17th. its ready to go. great launch with ample parking for trailers and without. i will be using it regularly.
Will nolan "swilly"