Favorite Spring Brown Trout Presentations

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
Shake-n-Bake
Species: coldwater

Favorite Spring Brown Trout Presentations

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

Here are my favorites. The Vampire and Gator are my number one producers but as we creep out off the shore when the water is clear I like to add the Black Widow and Dodger/Peanut Fly combo to the spread. The Coho, Atlantics, Steelhead and even the occasional King seem to like the Black Widow and Dodger/Peanut Fly that time of year. We look for the warmest water we can find (preferably muddy), always use flourocarbon leaders, mark every hit/fish for return passes and have a fantastic time!

Tried the Storm UV's out last year and I think they are going to make my favorites list.
Attachments
DSCN0099.JPG
See you on the pond!
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Re: Favorite Spring Brown Trout Presentations

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Funny that you start a post on that I was talking to a friend this afternoon about the Brown fishing on the LO in spring. I will surely ask you for some advise sometimes in March.

Do you think around the 7th of April is too early? We were thinking going in the Fair Heaven region.
Shake-n-Bake

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

Hello Andre,
We normally try to make it out by April 15th but normally you can get out weeks earlier. As soon as the bay ice goes out so you can launch its on! I really enjoy fishing out of Fairhaven, pretty laid back.
See you on the pond!
Wallyandre (Andre)

Thanks!!

You will hear from me ;)
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I believe there is an increasing number of us that are interested at spending a few days fishing Lake Ontario in spring. I am one of them.
April is still 3 months away, but it might be nice if we could plan getting there together and share our experience.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Shake-n-Bake

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

Gerry,
That does sound like fun. Have to pick a port for starters. I'm more familiar with Fairhaven/Oswego. Lots of others more familiar with Mexico/Sandy. All the ports can be outstanding.
See you on the pond!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I have a whole group of buddies that do Fairhaven every spring... They swear by the location... I am thinking of a trip too, maybe in late April. I know jusfishin is already planning on early April... Not far away!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I know we are at the mercy of Mother Nature and it is still too early to evaluate when will be a good time to plan a spring trip to Ontario. I am putting aside a few vacation days and hopefully this spring will come early and fish will be hungry.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
odysse68
Species: walleye, salmon

Post by odysse68 »

Very interesting post. Ti-Bob and I, we are planning to do a trip down there. I will follown this tread. :mrgreen:
Dirtyhooker
Species: all

Post by Dirtyhooker »

We usually try Oswego around the beginning of April. Due to unpredictable early spring weather it still gives you the option of the Harbor. We have done good #s of browns inside the breakwalls. Eric you can't beat that Gator pattern for spoons. I have found that a black and chrome Smithwick was real hot last year for us.
Scott
So many Lures So little Time
Shake-n-Bake

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

Scott,
You are absolutely right, that harbor can save a fishing trip. Things can get real nasty in a hurry out there. I'll have to check that Smithwick out.
See you on the pond!
champlain fisher
Species: salmonoids

Post by champlain fisher »

Early May out of Oswego can be great for browns plus there are giant eyes in the habor. Catch just as many browns at night trolling for eyes as eyes themselves. Lost a 17 lb brown at the back of the boat just before dark a few years back. We weren't more then a couple hundred yards off shore. Ended the night with a limit of both eyes and browns with a lot of fish thrown back as well.
Salmon, the other pink meat.
jusfishin
Species: Salmon

Post by jusfishin »

We are booked in Cabin #2 at Fair Haven state park from April 12-22nd. Do.n't wait to long if you plan on staying at the state park, the cabins fill up quickly with non-fishermen..Cabins are perfect...heated, stove, fridge, two bunk rooms...2 minutes from the launch....I like all the flavors in every post, but as I have stated in other treads about spring browns...when it's on, it really doesn't matter what you have out..only that you are there..we had multiple 60+ fish days the last two years...clear water is bad news, and dirty is paradise.....Look me up if any of you make it over between the 12th-22nd...
Shake-n-Bake

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

Jusfishin,
Fairhaven State Park is top shelf. Hope to make it out there during that time frame, I'll give a shout out if I'm there. If I remember correctly you posted a super report after last years trip.
See you on the pond!
Wallyandre (Andre)

I should be there from April 6th until the 9th then going back from April 16th to the 20th.