Thorny's Rotary Report

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Thorny

Thorny's Rotary Report

Post by Thorny »

Hi Everybody
Another great weekend on the water with my Dad,Cowboy and my friend Tom who jumped on board with short notice after a last minute cancelation. Friday morning was a steady Salmon bite all morning in Westport. In for lunch and a nap and back out in the evening fishing the ferry lanes for with more Salmon and Lakers in the mix.

Saturday morning winds gave my Dad a chance to sleep in and rest up for an early start on Sun. The wind finally laid down around 3 and we decided to try the Bouquet Delta for an evening troll. Lots of lakers but no Salmon.

Sunday morning was lines down at 430 am. The Fish were ripping the lines out our hands before we could put them in the releases! A few boats joined in around 6 and by 8 the fleet was all around us. We wandered off to get away from the traffic and it seemed like the Salmon were following us. The bite slowed as the morning and derby wound down. 11:15 and no Salmon over 5lbs. Time to start packing it in. The boards are in. The divers are in. I was storing rods in the cabin when the drag on the corner rigger screams and big silver leaps behind the boat! My dad hollers big MONEY FiSH! Rick grabs the rod and after some very tense moments,I slip the net under a beautiful 27in 7+lb slab of silver. I'm thinking 3 riggers to get in the boat and we have 20 min to get to Essex. We got it. Then I look down in the net and realize,it's a STEELHEAD! I have been asking the Rotary Folks for 20 years to include Steelhead and Browns in the derby. But hey that's fishing.....

By far our best lure all weekend is one my Wife named the Cathy-Jean. I have included a pic of the lure and some special blades that Fathead made for me a few years ago. This combo took the Steelhead and countless Salmon. Good luck to everyone in the LCI. I'll be selling 599 lobsters all weekend at the store.

Sorry but Photobucket would not load the pics. I'll try again later
Capt Thorny
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Re: Thorny's Rotary Report

Post by tamiron »

Nice fish! Nice Lure ... looks familiar! Interesting name. Is there a story behind it?
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

Nice Steelie! Thx for sharing.
Black Ghost (Ken)
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

a very nice steelie. i also would like to see the browns and steelies included in the rotary.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great report and even better steelhead... Heard the excitement on the radio when it went into the net... Thanks for the update...
mac
Species: Salmon, Trout and Bass

Post by mac »

Congrats on the Chrome! Beauty of a fish.
Trackertroller
Species: Cold & Warm Water

Post by Trackertroller »

Great report and beautiful chrome! Thanks for sharing
JEREMY
1987 24' Chaparral
"Plenty of Fish"
FATHEAD
Species: salmon

Post by FATHEAD »

Awesome Steelhead congrats!!
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Thorny:

I sent the same message to C-Hawk & Hairbone

Others need to follow your example! What you are catching them on benefits everyone including us lure manufacturers. Where, when, depth, distance back, attractors, method are all up to the individual .... but they may draw the fleet!

We can provide all fishermen with better tools if we new what lures work and what doesn't. If everyone is catching fish, more fish will be stocked. More cooperation helps the conservation people argue for even greater budgets. Thanks again. /Jim
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Thorny,

Thanks for posting the spoon. Made one up and it is a good looking spoon!
will nolan (swilly)
Species: whatever bites!

Post by will nolan (swilly) »

great work rob. very nice steelhead. your the man.
Will nolan "swilly"