Slammin the Salmon Hole 12/5

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Matt
Species: Any

Slammin the Salmon Hole 12/5

Post by Matt »

Had time after work to fish until dark, so I hurried and got my gear together after work and walked down.

Got there a little after 2:30, a few guys were leaving as I was walking down the path.

I was thinking to myself, "Hm they've probably caught any fish holding on the Burlington side."

Boy was I wrong!!!

Got geared up and headed to the rockpile.

Flyrod first, which is now my new routine.

Two fly setup, egg pattern with another one about 18" behind it.

10 minutes later, at the tail end of my drift...indicator plummets underwater!

FISH ON!! (I think to myself, "Sweet, already???")

I could tell right away it was a big fish, there was no changing the direction of the way this fish was running.

Did the same thing as the one did yesterday, used the current to its advantage and just pumped in the fast-water.

Ran towards me and I got to see it, a nice chromed out Steelhead in the 21-22" range.

Back towards the rapids, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........zzzz

Rolled in the current, line goes slack :( :( Oh well...

Checked my hooks, knots, line...good to go.

Almost the same drift, no more than 5 minutes later, indicator down...

"Another fish already? Probably just bottom."

I set the hook anyway, and before I knew it a Steelhead was flying out of the water for fish #2 in less than 15 minutes!!

Smaller one, I could tell.

Turned it's head towards me into the calmer water, pulled it towards my feet in the water and tailed it, then used my net to hold it.

Another Steelhead on a fly, awesome!

In the 17" Range

Quick pic and he's off!

Less than 10 minutes after that, indicator down AGAIN...

Now this time I'm almost positive it's just bottom.

I set the hook anyway.

WHAT?! FISH ON AGAIN!!

Felt smaller and lighter, but went into the fast current and I almost had to run downstream for this one!

Pulled him away and saved myself some trouble of running, I could tell it wasn't a Steelhead, but what was it?

Fight was rather lethargic, was it a Laker? In that fast water out there? Can't be..

Got it up to the rocks, a Brown!

He didn't like the sight of me, he made a run back towards the whitewater, I wasn't having it.

Palmed my spool and turned him, brought him back and in the net he goes!

I almost thought he was my Master Angler entry from a distance, but it fell a bit short.

REALLY skinny Male, looks like a toothpick!

20", but probably weighed no more than...2 LBS?

"Should I move downstream? Probably spooked all of the fish from this hole with all that action in such short of time."

Few more drifts I guess.

Sure enough like clockwork, less than 10 minutes later...indicator disappears under the water.

This time it's in shallower water than usual.

I set the hook anyway of course, but I don't keep the tight as I'm 99.99999% sure it was bottom....... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I don't know if that indicator submerging was the fish, or if the fish saw my flies move when I jerked my rod...but..

All of a sudden, as I'm beginning to pick my line off the water to re-cast... my indicator sinks into the water, and SHOOTS away from me!

Oh my, ANOTHER ONE!?!!

I had so much slack line out, I thought I was done for.

The fish didn't even know it was hooked for at least 5 seconds, just long enough for me to reel up my slack line.

Whew, on the reel.

Then the fight starts, and he starts off with a HUGE launch out of the water, way out into the fastest water like it was no problem.

WOW!!! was all I could say. I saw the whole side of this fish, and it was a FAAATTTYYYYY!!

Just like yesterday, it went right into the same spot and held in the current for about 15 minutes.

I was scoping out my path I was going to run in case he'd decide to fall back into the rapids.

Luckily that didn't happen, and he only managed to get close just once.

I palmed my spool and prayed he didn't break me off...couldn't afford to go down those rapids if the hook wasn't secure enough!

He was tiring after a tough battle, and I walked backwards and pulled him over the shallow water where I normally stand and saw just how fat this guy was...holy COW!!!

Got him far enough into the shallower water, jumped on him like white on rice with my net and somehow managed to get him head in first.

I shouted with excitement, this fish was AWESOME!!!

He wasn't nearly as long as I thought at 23", but this thing had some friggin' shoulders!

Kyped out, DARK red color, and did I mention this thing ate a FOOTBALL?

Is this even the same strain as all the other Steelhead or what?

Look at the gill plate :?: ....and the girth on this fish, WOW!!!!

Look at the Brown, then look at the Steelhead..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Obviously that Steelhead is bullying his way into all the food in this area :lol:

I've got a video of the release as well, he took off on me early but you can still see just how thick this guy was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t5EIYABJaY

Be sure to watch in HD!

Less than an hour at the Hole, 3 for 4 all on a flyrod. I call that a perfect day!

I fished until Dark, around 5 PM with no other takes. Lost my 2 producing flies on a snag though, bummer..

Hitting the Hole with Joe most likely Wednesday, we'll hopefully be posting some more fish!

Thanks for the read everyone, it's always a pleasure. Does anyone think that the way I write the descriptions is better than normal paragraphs? What are your thoughts? I think I like the reports better this way, easier to read, no?
bumpnrun
Species: salmon

Re: Slammin the Salmon Hole 12/5

Post by bumpnrun »

Matt i think your stories and the way you talk about the experience is fine in my book .I went on the ferry sun, but we had to wait for my daughter so i watched three guys fishing in the run off from the fish hatchery one guy caught a small fish couldnt tell what it was from the bank but any way keep fishing ;) COME ON ICE.
Roger Lav
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Geez Matt no Masterangler fish!! Kinda slackin!!!! Ha Ha !! You are the King!!! Thanks for sharing !! Thats one pretty Rainbow!! Sleeps
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Man...what a fishing trip! Great stuff.
That Bow is one of the nicest looking fish I've seen from Champlain or a Champ trib...absolutely beautiful.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
plantstone

Post by plantstone »

What an awesome 'bow. Thanks for sharing
Sea Hare
Species: all species

Post by Sea Hare »

Awesome fish, with magnificent colors. Boy, do you ever have the " magic touch "
Any way you choose to write your stories is fine. You have a gift. What's next ? a TV show called " Fishin with Matt ", the king of the salmon hole..

Thanks

:D
BB
It's not just a unit of measure !
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Matt,

I am going to call it a domestic rainbow! Almost too fat to be a steelhead. Plenty of these in Ontario around 10 lbs plus caught and they are like moving an elephant when hooked in open water. Congrats on the big male! Guessing 7 lbs.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Becoming an accomplished fly fisherman right in front of our eyes, gotta love it!
JabberJaws
Species: all

Post by JabberJaws »

Wow just Wow!!

What a pretty fish.

Your stories are excellent.

Thanks for sharing.

Ramel
Quit Wishing Go Fishing
makrug
Species: most of em

Post by makrug »

What an awesome fish. Its great to know Vermont has fish like that in its waters. I especially like the release part. I bet there were some mixed emotions there, huh Matt? Great job on your part and keep those wonderful fishing stories coming.
I also hope that rascal is around to make some major contributions to the gene pool. ( hahaha little pun there )
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

makrug wrote:What an awesome fish. Its great to know Vermont has fish like that in its waters. I especially like the release part. I bet there were some mixed emotions there, huh Matt? Great job on your part and keep those wonderful fishing stories coming.
I also hope that rascal is around to make some major contributions to the gene pool. ( hahaha little pun there )
Thanks, and yeah if it were 6" longer with that kind of girth it'd be on the wall I think...or not who knows! I'll just have to get one that big and find out I guess. 8-)
Brian
Species: fin fish

Post by Brian »

Another good tale Matt! Nice fish, photo's and descriptions of the excitement.
Got bass thumb?