Bleeding Fish

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
Reel Delight (Walt)
Species: Trout, Salmon, & other

Re: Bleeding Fish

Post by Reel Delight (Walt) »

Andre I would like to have some of those Walleyes that you been catching on ice in my cooler. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Retired & ready to fish!
Arima Sea Ranger "Reel Delight"
Past President of the Lake George Fishing Alliance
member of the US Power Squadron and USN Vet.
Formerly AKA "Fishing Eagle"
Fishdawg
Species: Salmon

Post by Fishdawg »

Thanks guys! That was what I thought and is how I used to do it on my river and stream fish. I just bought a new boat. Yup, Fishdawg IV has been traded in and I will have a new ride for the spring. My new boat is built by American Angler out of Oregon and marketed by Smokercraft. It not only has a livewell, but it also has a fishbox in the floor as apparently out west they often bleed and clean the fish and put them on ice. I was going to use it for storage, but if I decide to keep some fish I may bleed them and put them on ice.
tealtumbler
Species: LLS, Lakers,Steelhead

Post by tealtumbler »

Interesting have been fishing my whole life and never heard or saw this . I will have to try it we love fish and this appears to make them even better. Your never to old to learn. Thanks
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Fishdawg wrote:Thanks guys! That was what I thought and is how I used to do it on my river and stream fish. I just bought a new boat. Yup, Fishdawg IV has been traded in and I will have a new ride for the spring. My new boat is built by American Angler out of Oregon and marketed by Smokercraft. It not only has a livewell, but it also has a fishbox in the floor as apparently out west they often bleed and clean the fish and put them on ice. I was going to use it for storage, but if I decide to keep some fish I may bleed them and put them on ice.
Awsome! Do you have any pics if the new ride??? Outboard?
Ludo
Species: Salmon, salmon and trout

Post by Ludo »

Tonight I've eaten a lake trout bled Sunday, it didn't taste the bottom of the lake, it was smelling a little bit less the fish in the house.

Great tip !
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Ludo wrote:Tonight I've eaten a lake trout bled Sunday, it didn't taste the bottom of the lake, it was smelling a little bit less the fish in the house.

Great tip !
:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm scared to try the Laker sitting in my freezer, this doesn't help any...
Ludo
Species: Salmon, salmon and trout

Post by Ludo »

put bacon under, spices and lemon juice on the fish, and bacon on the fish, put the fish in the oven. It won't taste a lot the bacon, but the fat of the bacon will make the taste of the spices very amplified :)
Green Manalishi
Species: Salmonoids...

Post by Green Manalishi »

I've done this with Bluefish...never realized it was a good thing to do for all
Fish don't play politics, that's why I like them...
Fishdawg

Post by Fishdawg »

Matt,
The new boat is an outboard (115 hp merc 4 stroke). The boat is 17 foot so much shorter than the Crestliner but almost as wide. The boat has a walk thru windshield but is designed with the cockpit much more towards the bow than most boats sold around here so there is still a lot of dance floor in the back for working riggers and playing fish. It has been put away for the winter, but you can bet I'll be out early as soon as the ice is out.
Fishdawg

Post by Fishdawg »

I will try to get a picture posted this weekend.
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Fishdawg, does'it look like this one:

Or this one ;)

Fishdawg

Post by Fishdawg »

Wallyandre, It would be the first two pics. Thanks! It is the Osprey model. Mine has the black paint job design and i did purchase the 2 storage jumps seats as seen in pic #2. The boat came with the full fishing top, sides and drop curtains as well as a wind curtain that snaps in beneath the walk thru window. That 3rd pic was considered, but I am trying to downsize :D The boat is put away for the winter, but I will be growing very anxious as spring approaches. Hoping Santa is good to me with toys and equipment to have it all set up. I did have a humminbird 597 ci HD DI fishfinder mounted on the boat at the time of purchase, but am hoping Santa has some navionics chips in his bag of goodies.
campfindit
Species: some better than others

Post by campfindit »

I started bleeding Pike on the ice last winter. I simply pulled out a Gill or two with my pliers. As for keeping them on ice:)
..............Camp