Very aggresive rut ?

Share Hunting info.
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Very aggresive rut ?

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

In looking on the net and what I have seen in person ,it seems to me that this years bucks have been doing a lot of battling!!! I have seen many broken antlers and many battle scars, not sure if this is just by chance or if there is some reason behind this? Anybody have any ideas? Sleeps
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Re: Very aggresive rut ?

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Not sure on this one. If your seeing that in VT your one lucky dude!!!

In VT... I would say possibly due to....
(1) the more mature and bigger bucks that are out there from the spike law
(2) the fierce competition for so few does in VT due to winter kill and too many permits issued in the past
(3) its been so warm that they can expend that extra energy battling rather than keeping warm or finding food when they are not looking for the ladies and/or ie.. they are more willing to fight because they are not drained from the cold.

Just my opinion.

In NY it was fierce as always. It was a little late this year but nothing out of the ordinary.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

WFW I am not seeing these aggresive rutting activities just observing deer that have been taken that appear to have been battling more than in past years!!! Broken tines scars on there bodies etc!! Maybe I have been drinking more than usual I dont think so it just seems that things are a little different!! Sleeps
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I got a buddy who shot a 7pt the last weekend in Milton... it was chasing does.. When he went to look for it it came back out the brush still chasing does even though it had a broken front leg from the 1st shot... I would say this is some heavy rutting activity... Not sure why I never get this lucky. :oops:
Matt B
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Reelax wrote:I got a buddy who shot a 7pt the last weekend in Milton... it was chasing does.. When he went to look for it it came back out the brush still chasing does even though it had a broken front leg from the 1st shot... I would say this is some heavy rutting activity... Not sure why I never get this lucky. :oops:
Dedication :lol:
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

That is dedication for sure.... I dont blame him though... He just wanted it one more time before he died :D Their will to survive is insane! Shot a buck once bout 5 years ago and broke its front leg and it rolled down hill into brush surrounding a big pond. I jumped it when I went to get another shot from above it and it jumped into pond and made a swim to the other side!! bobbing up and down half drowned... It was so exhausted when it plowed its away onto the bank on the other side yet still tried to hobble run away. He didnt make it very far after that though......

Sleeps... oh... lol.. Its ok if you've been drinking more.. this weather will do that too ya! I agree with you though... does seem aggressive....
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"