Heading west

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
champlain fisher
Species: salmonoids

Heading west

Post by champlain fisher »

Leaving early morning to hit the Salmon River in Pulaski to give the steelies a shot. Got the gear all set and packed in the car. Need to tie up some egg sacs to go with the trout beads and flies to try and catch some metalheads. Will post a report when I get back.
Salmon, the other pink meat.
Matt
Species: Any

Re: Heading west

Post by Matt »

You lucky dog you....good luck and have fun over there!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Good luck CF...looking forward to your report!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
dreamcatcher
Species: Champlain Fishes

Post by dreamcatcher »

They are waiting for you Darien, can't get there quick enough! :D Hope you did'nt forget the camera?
KEN K.
riverrunner
Species: Salmonids

Post by riverrunner »

Just returned from the creeks out there. Went to random creeks along ontario from Oswego to pretty much Buffalo. Only fished Ontario, not Erie. Did real well, catching mostly browns with a few rainbows and steely's mixed in. Between 3 of us we landed right around 150 in a day and a half of fishing! Average 4-5 lbs. Caught many over 10 tho! What a blast!!! Fish are in the creeks, loaded was an understatement. Biting on egg sacks and single egg patterns. I'm sure a bunch of other stuff would work, but we didn't have to switch. Yellow, orange, blue, pink.

Run the rivers!
Flashpoint
Species: trout/salmon/stripers

Post by Flashpoint »

Hey CF, I am heading out on Sunday my self....pretty much doing the same as river runner. Hitting the SR on Sunday & Monday, some tribs west Tuesday & wed I am hitting the Niagara with a charter buddy! Drop me a pm if you want to catch up & I will give you my cell!
Hope to see you out there!
Be sure to send pics every one!
voyager
Species: whatever's biting

Post by voyager »

Sounds like fun, good luck out there. Oh and hope you're prepared for snow!
champlain fisher

Flashpoint wrote:Hey CF, I am heading out on Sunday my self....pretty much doing the same as river runner. Hitting the SR on Sunday & Monday, some tribs west Tuesday & wed I am hitting the Niagara with a charter buddy! Drop me a pm if you want to catch up & I will give you my cell!
Hope to see you out there!
Be sure to send pics every one!

Just got back Tuesday night. Fished the lower end - from 81 hole down looking for fresh silver fish. Not a lot of action down there but had plenty of room and didn't see many other anglers. Had 3 nice silver fish on on Monday but couldn't land them. Got some real good runs and jumps out of them. They all were in the 10 plus range. Missed a couple bites as well. Tuesday was a bit slower with one on and landed just above the town pool and that fish was all colored up. Had a couple other bites and that was it. The guys who fished up river did better then I did but most all the fish were colored up fish with very few fresh fish up top. The water came up the day after I left and the fish were a bit more aggressive. The flow was 450 down low, Wed it was close to 700 which may also have brought some more fresh ones into the lower end. DSR was reporting decent fishing Wed.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Thanks for the report Darien. Sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the report. Someday I would like to go over and see you catch em. I would be happy to just land one. :D

My sister just got back from a 5 day hunt in the NY southern tier (shotgun). Hope she kept that string of 8 pointers going for the 3rd year in a row.
champlain fisher

Ron they are are a blast to fight in a river. The ones I had on were still full of it and the water is still just warm enough they aren't sluggish. With big fish on light tackle the fish have the advantage and adds to the challange as well as the sporting part of fishing for those chrome beauties.
Flashpoint

Post by Flashpoint »

Thanks for the update CF! I am leaving in the morning, staying at Fox Hollow lodge in Pineville so I am probably going to fish the upper. Also going to try a couple smaller tribs closer to Oswego that I scouted while out there in August. Noticed the flows were up a bit, hoping that brought some fresh fish in! This will be my first shot at river steelies so we'll see how it goes.
BTW....what seemed to be best...?? Beads, sacs, fly's?? I have a little of every thing so trying to decide which way to start?
Thanks!
champlain fisher

I got my fish all on sacs, dark blue, peach and pink. My friend who has a guide service on the river has been doing good with beads. The fish were still sitting in fairly fast water for this time of year. Good luck!
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

champlain fisher wrote:Ron they are are a blast to fight in a river. The ones I had on were still full of it and the water is still just warm enough they aren't sluggish. With big fish on light tackle the fish have the advantage and adds to the challange as well as the sporting part of fishing for those chrome beauties.
It's always a pleasure to read your reports on streams or the lake here. Hope to see you again at one of the workshops this winter. It's been fun fishing the Willsboro area 4-5 times now which is new water for me.
champlain fisher

Ron, hoping to make one of the workshops. A great way to match names with faces as well as tell fish tales.
Flashpoint

Post by Flashpoint »

Sorry i didnt post quicker after I got back every one...crazy at work & Home! Did pretty well for two days of fishing totaling about 15 hrs total. tried three spost that i have worked before on the SR, the fish were staying in the faster water at the heads of pools & tail outs. look for big boulders with long seams & the Chromers were there. Hooked up over a dozen times, landed 4 of those fish....one small female & three really nice males, one pushing 15lbs that took me over 20 min to get in. What a challenge trying to get them in while wading by your self! Had two other on & got them right up to me & the leaders broke at the hook! Ohh well...cant land & take pics at the same time! Blue egg sacs & glow beads seem to be the ticket. Water was running at 350 cfs when i got there...up to 500 when I left. they went up to 1000 CFs over the weekend & now at 1500. The river guides with drift boats are loving it as they can get around better & the number of bank guys are down!
Heading back over with my wife & son xmas week...taking my son a drift trip for a xmas present. Should be some a lot of fun in the snow! :D