Port Henry

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Heartbeat
Species: Salmon

Port Henry

Post by Heartbeat »

Fished port henry today. Caught 13 salmon today. All were 16 inches and up. Had 8 by 7:45 and went home at 10:30. Half were on planer boards with thunder sticks orange/gold in color. Speedy shiner silver/blue, monkey puke. 130 to 150 ft back and 6 to 10 ft down. Going back tomorrow.
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Port Henry

Post by fishy1 »

i think i saw you out in front of me . i had 8 on and only landed 1 and then after 8;30 am the bite was off for me. the one i landed was 21 inches. see you on the water in the morning.
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

Post by cpmaple »

Sounds like the bay is turning on and I have to work today. Looking like I will have to wait till first week of june before I can get out again. Started 12's days this past Monday and wont have a day off till june I need a new job lol. Money is good but cutting into my family life and fishing time. Be safe on the water and wishing I was out there.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

chad go to work and ill keep on a fishing. i did my time there and your time will come before you know it and you will be able to retire and enjoy our fishing addiction. landed 4 salmon this morning and lost several including one beast that almost yanked the pole out of my hand. was a beast but dont know if it was a brown or a salmon. when he spun off i just stopped reeling stunned. my drag was on fire . ha ha do you plan on still fishing the rotary?
Hugues
Species: Cold water fishes and Walleyes

Post by Hugues »

We were also at Port Henry saturday afternoon and sunday morning. Same kind of numbers : saturday afternoon we went 23/26 and 9/13 on sunday morning. What a fantastic start for 2015 discovering a new place, it was my first time on that part od the lake. Half were on planner boards, some at surface, some with 1 color of leadcore all with small yozuri sticks whereas the other half were on mini dipsy 25 and 40 feet out on spoons with purple and copper. Catched my biggest Brown ever, just short to 5 pounds and also had a tagged silver that went back in the water. Perfect weekend with good friends!
Attachments
Fish.jpg
Brown.jpg
Tag.jpg
Doublé.jpg
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice to hear from you Hugues.
Seems like you had a great weekend at Port Henry.
Thanks for posting the pics. You have some nice catches.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Hugues

Post by Hugues »

We always buy a couple of new spoons on each trip, since we were near Norm's Bait and tackle we went down there and buy some new jewels that we will wash on our next outing!
Attachments
CIvanSpoon.JPG
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

thanks for the pics. looks like you had a great weekend . that brown was awsome and im a little jealous since i have only landed 1 brown since ice out. this morning i was 2 for 6 all salmon. they wernt very aggressive this morning. 4 boats in the bay and i didnt see much action.
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Post by Wdrnr »

Yup we were down there as well in the center console whaler. Went there for three silvers and Browns . Rotten weather but we didn't get skunked.
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

Post by cpmaple »

fishy1 look at that last pic its not the bay for sure that out in the big waters. Looks to me they were trolling south toward the bridge out by the green can. But I maybe wrong but I don't think so.
Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Hi there,

We did the bay first and after a couple of hits we went in front of the ramp and cross the lake toward the bridge indeed. We were not marking any baiting in the bay (they were probably more at the surface) in constrast to the other side where we found some big balls of baiting fish. Our feeling is that the salmons were bigger outside of the bay. We also made a run from the ramp towards North and had just one fish there.

We were controlled by Wildlife biologists (they do a Survey?) on saturday and by the Coast Guard on sunday 8-)

Hugues
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Have to ask how many guys were in the boat?

I count two and one guy taking picture makes 3, and I see 7 rods in the water. Not to mention that rig doesn't look like it's 21' and a pfd is required to be worn till may 1st.
Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Like I mentioned the coastguard was in the bay sunday and everything was perfect in the boat! I am a crazy french Canadian but not stupid enough to put some pictures of an illegal spread on the net...

How many rods per liscence can you have on the NY side of the lake ?

Hugues
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Hugues wrote:Like I mentioned the coastguard was in the bay sunday and everything was perfect in the boat! I am a crazy french Canadian but not stupid enough to put some pictures of an illegal spread on the net...

How many rods per liscence can you have on the NY side of the lake ?

Hugues
3 rods for each fisherman and only have to wear life jackets under certain size boats. apparently you were legal. you were in a great spot and yes theres lots of bait there and you did well. congratulations
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

cpmaple wrote:fishy1 look at that last pic its not the bay for sure that out in the big waters. Looks to me they were trolling south toward the bridge out by the green can. But I maybe wrong but I don't think so.
yes chad your right i noticed that right away as you know that is one of my favorite spots and the smelt are still holding there. they were between the green can and the red can looked to me right in the channel. caught a nice brown tonight will post soon along with 4 salmon.