Lake Ontario - First trip

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Lake Ontario - First trip

Post by vtfishin »

Hope you guys don't mind a report from Lake O...

I got back into fishing over the past few years to get out with my brother and my Dad. Went on an amazing trip way up in Gogama, ON a few years back and caught the bug chasing eyes, pike and bass on some remote lakes. I bought a boat last year to get us out some more and feed my habit and just got into rigger fishing this year and with help from Ben, Ramel and (good) people on the forum I have a new addiction...

Not knowing how the boat was going to run and if I would be rigged, my brother and I booked a trip this past winter with a charter on Lake Ontario. Irene almost put the screws to the trip but we found ourselves with her to our backs Sunday as we drove through the outer bands to Oswego. My wife, Pam, friend Brad and nephew Bob were all in. 6 of us total counting brother Mike and Dad.
We checked into a flea bag hotel that was part of the deal...Clean but well worn and perfect for fish camp...
We were not fishing until Monday afternoon and went down to check out the 15 foot waves crashing onto the break water and the 6 foot rollers up in the canal! We were hoping it would lie down for our trip and we headed to the Press Box down by the water to start telling fish stories and grab some grub.
Monday we woke to less wind and we made sandwiches and loaded coolers for the trip in the afternoon. We got down to the boat at noon only to find the charter captain straddling one of 3 motors with the carburetor torn off. He looked up and asked if we got his message which was to go out at 1 instead of noon. We didn't. We watched as a mechanic delivered a rebuilt carb and the captain bolted it on and fired it up. Things were looking up. We headed back up into town to grab some lunch while the captain ran home to change. Little after 1 we were on our way out.

Well, the fishing was good Saturday with huge kings coming in by the boat-full. Irene swept through Sunday and flipped the lake. We heard that some areas were "iced out" with the surface temp going from 72 Saturday to 37 Monday! The area in front of the canal/river was around 67, but 67 all the way down. The captain made the call to fish in the front yard and the mate started dropping gear. We were the only boat and he figured he'd give that area a try.
Our first fish hit and it was a nice 6 lb brown. I was up in rotation and brought it in. Next up was my nephew Bob and he landed our first king:
BOB_Fish.jpg
70 feet of water, dipsey, pig pen dodger and an mountain dew A-Tom-Mik fly with a chip
I somehow ended up in the rotation again...It hit on 200 copper. What a blast to fight those fish! When it hit it took off and I thought it was going to run the reel dry. The drag was screaming and I didn't see an end in sight. I started pumping the fish in and reeling. I almost ahd it to the boat and ZOOM! The fish takes off again on a run! My forearms were blowing up when 15 minutes later I landed a decent king (my first ever King)
myfish.jpg
Next up was Brad and his rod went rocketing...he fought with a fish that jumped a few times and then came to the net:
bradnet.jpg
...looks like the forum will not let me add more photos...so I'll see if these loaded and keep going on post #2...
Ludo
Species: Salmon, salmon and trout

Re: Lake Ontario - First trip

Post by Ludo »

Limit was set to 3 per post, I raised it to 10.
vtfishin

Post by vtfishin »

Part II
So, when we last left our superheros Brad had one in the net...turns up as a nice coho:
bradcoho.jpg
we troll around a little while longer and more boats start moving into the area. We were basically 1/2 mile in front of the breakwater and couldn't find any thermals. The water was cold all the way down. All the fish we caught were close to the top. Next up was my brother and he grabs the rod as the reel takes off screaming. I have never seen a fish take off like these kings, what a fun catch. Mike's arms are burning and he uses the rod to wear em down.
mikesfish.jpg
We troll some more and have time for a beer or two. Pam is up and she is really excited to reel one in. Bam! The dipsey triggers and Pam is in for a fight. The fish takes off on a run and she works it in. Almost to the boat and it rips off on another run! Pam did a beautiful job bringing the fish in and we all practically fell out of the boat when we saw the beast she brought in!
pammonster.jpg
40", 22.5" girth and 27lbs! What a beaut!
Well, we headed in without getting Dad a fish, but Tuesday morning would bring another day...
Of course, when we got to the dock, the mate was using a wheeled bin to lift the fish from the boat and the bottom broke out and one of our fish went between the boat and the dock never to be seen again...bummer...

Tuesday morning we were about 15 min late due to an issue at the Inn trying to get breakfast...but we headed out. The water was even more messed up then on Monday. Now it was warm everywhere! There were fingers of all cold, mixed with large sections of all warm. You could actually see the different waters as it was all slightly different color on the surface. They managed to put us on a brown and then my nephew reeled in a nice salmon only to lose it when the line cut on the trim tab. This is when the trip took a bit of a downer. My nephew was bummed he lost the fish but the mate freaked out and made him seem like an idiot. I personally I think the mate just didn't get it in the net fast enough..but freaking out on an 18 year old, first time salmon fisherman was a bit uncalled for and I tried to gently say "no problem, we'll get another one" and hoped the guy would get it. Well, he kept trying to pick an argument it seemed but I just kept smiling and saying, don't worry about it...Not sure how these guys stay in business...
anyway, my main reason for this trip was to get my Dad a fish. Conditions were tough with the differing temps but we kept looking. The winds were building and we were into 4 foot rollers and cross chop. Zip! The rigger fires and Dad is on a fish. We had him all set up and helped steady him in the boat and he brought it in. I can't tell you how much this meant to my brother and I, we were all smiles.
dadsfish.jpg
We hauled in another 5lb brown
mybrown.jpg
and lost a jack on the way in. The hook was caught on the net and in the messing about with the net the fish was knocked off.

In the end, we had a special trip in tough conditions. My wife caught the biggest fish and we got my Dad one in the boat as well. My nephew is also hooked as well and I can't wait to get him back out on the water again chasing fish. Great time. Maybe next trip will be on my own boat so I can make my own mistakes! ;)

-Matt
vtfishin

Post by vtfishin »

Thanks Ludo! Wondered why part II allowed more...figured I just did something wrong! Good stuff.
Ludo
Species: Salmon, salmon and trout

Post by Ludo »

I'm ready to serve the lord :geek:
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Mother of God! :o
Todd
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Man that's a great read...I gotta get out there. I want them browns!
A buddy of mine just got a nice Lund to fish from...If I twist his arm hard enough, "maybe, just maybe" we can hit "O" in the spring.

Congrats on your successful trip! Very cool!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

First trip? Wow! Great report. Very challenging fishing even for veterans after the lake flips with big winds. Very impressive! As the kids get older I look forward to returning to Oswego the weeks leading up to Labor day as that destination is my favorite for small boats less than 21 feet. :)
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)
Species: ANY FISH THAT WANTS TO PLAY!!

Post by FISHCRAZY(LALLY) »

AWESOME!!! Gotta love that lake and it's fishery!!! Razz..... if your looking for a "deck hand" on your spring trip let me know :D I will NOT miss this springs BROWNS and I have an idea and a lure or a 100 that I can bring along :D :D :D :D ..... Just aying ;) Your buddies Lund is PERFECT!!!!

They make UM big over there ;)
" IN MY EYES ALL FISH ARE CREATED EQUALLY"
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Wow, great report, and superb pics. Make you want to go there.
Maybe one day.... it will be my turn to go.

Gecha
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Last spring it was a 1st for my friend and me in the Oswego region for those big browns. Next spring we are going for 1 week instead of 2 days.

I love it, specially fishing in 8-10 ft. of water

raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

yeah guys....that's what I'm talkin about!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
vtfishin

Post by vtfishin »

Digitroll wrote:First trip? Wow! Great report. Very challenging fishing even for veterans after the lake flips with big winds. Very impressive! As the kids get older I look forward to returning to Oswego the weeks leading up to Labor day as that destination is my favorite for small boats less than 21 feet. :)
Digitroll, want to make sure I did not mis-lead...we were on a charter trip not going it alone. Needed to check things out and wasn't sure I was going to be up and running this year...

We are planning a spring trip after Browns with our own rig. Maybe a few of us can fleet up over there this spring? It would be good knowing there were some folks looking out for one another...

Matt
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Matt. what an awsome report with great pics and lots of happy fisherman, and woman... Thanks for the report... I know I am going to have to make the trip out there soon!
Matt B
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

vtfishin wrote:
Digitroll wrote:First trip? Wow! Great report. Very challenging fishing even for veterans after the lake flips with big winds. Very impressive! As the kids get older I look forward to returning to Oswego the weeks leading up to Labor day as that destination is my favorite for small boats less than 21 feet. :)
Digitroll, want to make sure I did not mis-lead...we were on a charter trip not going it alone. Needed to check things out and wasn't sure I was going to be up and running this year...

We are planning a spring trip after Browns with our own rig. Maybe a few of us can fleet up over there this spring? It would be good knowing there were some folks looking out for one another...

Matt

Excellant charter results nonetheless! Thats the best way to get your feet wet!