Sandbar warning!!

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
dreamcatcher
Species: Champlain Fishes

Sandbar warning!!

Post by dreamcatcher »

Hey everyone; I took my niece and her future husband to sandbar today to play with some northerns. About half way out to the point there are lots of open holes in the snow spots out there. It's not good don't drive out there!!! I took a video to put up but Photoshop is off for maintance. The ice is really thin around the holes and a lot of bubbles coming up through them and their not freezing some of them around 2 feet in diameter. My holes were freezing up quick had to clear them often, don't know why those holes aren't?! :? Be safe out there!
KEN K.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: Sandbar warning!!

Post by raz »

dreamcatcher wrote:Hey everyone; I took my niece and her future husband to sandbar today to play with some northerns. About half way out to the point there are lots of open holes in the snow spots out there. It's not good don't drive out there!!! I took a video to put up but Photoshop is off for maintance. The ice is really thin around the holes and a lot of bubbles coming up through them and their not freezing some of them around 2 feet in diameter. My holes were freezing up quick had to clear them often, don't know why those holes aren't?! :? Be safe out there!
Beluga breathing holes?
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
dreamcatcher

Post by dreamcatcher »

BINGO!!! :)
KEN K.
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Sandbar is notorious for spring holes. Like that every year. I remember years ago 3 of us were walking and my buddy in the middle went in on over a foot of ice on a softee spot. :shock:
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Fish On!
plantstone

Post by plantstone »

Where do you get this stuff Randy? That was fun with ice and fire. Love it.
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

So I decided to give these holes a close look some time ago. my 6" holes freeze almost instantaneously as soon as I walk away from it. i'd be walking to find some real estate and see a 10" hole wide open!! :shock:
so this is what some, responsible, fishermen do to keep their holes open, they pour vegetable oil in their holes. so after this snowfall, I guess we all who use the sandbar can take a walk of "faith" until that oil dilutes. :roll:
Be careful and thanks for the original post!
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Post by Wdrnr »

Folks , what's likely going on here is methane percolating up thru the sand. Alll that weed growth thru the eons covered up in sand.
dreamcatcher

Post by dreamcatcher »

Wdrnr wrote:Folks , what's likely going on here is methane percolating up thru the sand. Alll that weed growth thru the eons covered up in sand.
That thought did run thru my mine but I kind'a laughed it off. That does happen down south. Anyway are the holes still out toward the point?
KEN K.
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Sandbar is always like that..... There's usually a big pressure crack out by the point. Not sure if its out there this year cuz I only fish sandbar when it gets good (late Feb). I heard people are putting trucks in these holes so id be cautious. Esp with the snow on the ice.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

I heard that the methane discharge blowing holes in the ice was coming from a pod of these crusing off shore... :?

Fish On!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Randy.... You always amaze us with your findings :lol: :lol:
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I won't be able to fish Sandbar anymore.
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

CHawk, I was just thinking the same thing. Helluva thought to go to sleep with. :-)
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Hey I know her!!!!!! Sleeps WAY to funny!!!!