12/8/14 frostbite river fishing updated 10/31/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: 12/8/14 frostbite river fishing updated 10/31/2017

Post by fishy1 »

11/25/2017 got to a river this morning a little late after attempting to shore fish for lakers but the 4 foot white caps were to much. started fishing at 8:10 am in my ist choice spot and nothing for one hour so i went to my 2nd spot with fisherman up and down the river on both sides but my 2nd choice noone. my half of the river is a 5 foot hole and it holds a huge rock with slow moving water the other half across fast water. i brought both rods since i am going to sit there for the duration. on on bottom near the big boulder and the other drifting with bobber and crawler. got set up at 9:20 am and at 9:40 am the bottom line started peeling off slowly picked up the rod and closed the bail and the line went limp started retreiving fast and nothing the fish came up river a little then right into shore and nothing but a bare hook. ugh a good sign it was a brown. then wayne came about 10 am told him and ist thing he said it was a brown. i agreed. then i tossed my bobber over in the fast water it stopped and started dancing pulled and nothing got half the crawler. then wayne went down river a little sight fishing for salmon came back at 10:50 am and when he did my bottom line went slack then tighted bent the rod a little then slack again. closed the bail it tightened up real tight and fish on but with a problem i was also hung up . i could feel the fish on the end and it felt pretty good but it couldnt bust loose. opened the bail back open and set the rod back down hopeing it would free its self. waited 20 minutes with the lines moving in and out several times closed the bail and still hung up. wayne said the line is hung up on somethign move down a little and see if you can free it so i did with the fish shakig the rod as i started pulling then it release thought i got broke off but had the hook still on and no fish and no worm ugh. after talking to several fisherman i guess i did pretty good they got no hits at all mostly fly fisherman.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Wow! Nice pic from yesterday, too!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/5/2017 hit a river this morning for some brown and salmon action that didnt happen. wind was nasty to say the least where i was. started fishing at 7:30 am with one bobber set up and would spin cast with my other rod. i was in a non restricted area. quit fishing with 0 hits on both rods. visited with wayne for awhile and then rain came down.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

At least you tried Matt
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/6/2017 tried the river again today with no hits in 2 hours. wayne came down after i left and landed a brown and a pike.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/8/2017 hit the lake ist for some laker fishing with 0 hits so headed up to a river. aobut 15 minutes spin casting in the non restricted part of the river had a vicious hit and immediatly a good size salmon leaped out of the shallow water and shook loose. ugh. then on the very next cast tossed it out and there was 5 mallard ducks flying and guess what i connect with one. ugh. it fell to the water and i started retreiving very slowly trying not to hurt it . just as i was about getting it shore wayne showed up and says anything yet i said oh yeah got a drake mallard on now . wayne was startled and says ill get him off for you and he did. luckily the line was wrapped around him and the treble hooks wernt embedded in it. had enough for today and left. Image
mallard duck was released unhurt
last year with hairbone (harry) i lassoed a salmon now a duck. :lol:
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Better eating than salmon though Matt! I caught a pigeon once same way. Also snagged a beaver on the fly, light cahill in 14 I think.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Matt, how high do you cast?
Catching a mallard in flight.... wow
Last edited by Gecha (Gerry) on Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Matt, you are a better shot with a spoon than I am with a shotgun :lol: :shock: :oops:
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Gecha (Gerry) wrote:Matt, how high to you cast?
Catching a mallard in flight.... wow
gerry they were about 5 or 6 feet above water. those ducks are there year round and are pretty tame. just bad timeing on there part to fly.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Incredible. Lucky that it wasn't hooked!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

2/23/2017 hit a tributary this afternoon close to home. did some drifting with worms some spots were tough with the ice chunks on the sides of the tributary. got half way down to my goal and down came the rain so headed back to the vehicle. no bites and didnt see any but sure was good to get out. going to try again this weekend.
Last edited by fishy1 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
EagleCrag
Species: Trout/Salmon

Post by EagleCrag »

Trib fishing in February. Amazing. Water must have been raging. I salute you for getting out there Matt.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

EagleCrag wrote:Trib fishing in February. Amazing. Water must have been raging. I salute you for getting out there Matt.
went back today fished the same part tough fishing the banks were slippery with ice had my stud shoes on to. no hits and and i didnt sight fish any with. stream is actually low and easy to sight fish. some ice fisherman out on the lake talked to 2 and they said the bite was tough . not going to give up though i know they will soon be entering the tributaries.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

2/28/2017 hit a champlain tributary today the last day of february to try my luck for trout and salmon started fishing at 9: 20 am and would like to hit at least 5 holes. i always fish down stream so i can sort of sneak up on the holes and not have to go up to them and around. put on a honey bee trout pattern ist 2 holes with no luck. so i went back to my pickup and looked for something different a blue spinner. put it on and walked back down to the 3rd spot. was casting it but it would only spin in the faster water against the current. about 10:30 am decided to try and cast along the bank on my side but the bank i was standing on was all ice along the bank. so i needed to be carefull already fell in once saturday. so i decided to just flip my line down on the edge of the stream the 3rd time i had a real good tug hit but no taker. got my spinner in and most of the blue was now white. ugh took the blue paint right off. i was very discouraged and decided to call it a day and said to myself no more cheap lures. got back to the pickup and looked at my tackle grabbed a crazy ivan morning glory and went back down to that spot fished another 15 minutes no hits. did not sight fish any but im sure there are fish entering the streams now. Image