Lots of Salmon ,Walleye and Lake Trout

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Lots of Salmon ,Walleye and Lake Trout

Post by Captain Paul »

All being eaten buy Cormorants now I hope I have you're attention I need all of you to send emails to tom_berry@leahy.saenate.gov , WHowland@lcbp.org and ehowe@lcbp.org in you're own words tell them about all the destruction and economic impact and damage to our fisheries you have noticed caused from Double Crested Cormorants and then thank them for working together with LCBP , APHIS and Senator Leahy's office to find the funding to continue the DCC Management program and to please keep you up dated on its progress . PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO DO THIS WE HAVE PUT A LOT OF HARD WORK IN THIS AND WITH OUT YOU'RE HELP IT WILL BE WAISTED .

Now for a fishing report The Salmon fishing in June and July was pretty good for us not a lot of fish but some real quality fish with 2 steelhead over 6 lbs. and a run of Salmon between 4 and 6 lbs. with 2 real nice ones a 7.10 lb. and a 8.15 lb. Salmon and a few Browns mixed in . But Now its all Lake Trout and we are catching a lot of them they have not been the biggest run of fish this year but have more than made up for it in numbers the fish now are down 75 to 100 feet on the bottom or suspended it doesn't seem to matter Lures seem to very every day spoons seem to be working the best colors are all over the place if you put something down for 30 minutes and it doesn't work change it . for you photo nuts I have tons of new pictures in my photo gallery at http://www.fishvermont.con please send those emails
Last edited by Captain Paul on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Re: Lots of Salmon ,Walleye and Lake Trout

Post by Cas »

I agree with what Capt. Paul says, please do take the time to do this, send your letters to those people. My letter has been sent. This action on the cormorants does have some teeth to it, but we need to make it stick by sending our letters urging the need for cormorant control. Not just for the obvious ramifications that they have on our fishery, but the environmental impacts they are having, as well. We need action by the fellow sportsman to hopefully drive this point home, and get some action.

I know we all want to fish 3 rods per person, but this is more important! Let's focus on this before we try and get VT to allow 3 rods per person!
________
Mike
Captain Paul

Post by Captain Paul »

Looks like 245 people looked at this how many of you sent out emails I need to know so when they tell me I am the only one contacting them I can set them straight please post here so I know
Thorny

Post by Thorny »

Thanks to the Dunklings for helping to spearhead this issue. We need to rally as a group at times like this and be heard!
Here is my letter
Great to hear that the (LCBP) is getting involved in Cormorant control! I have been an avid fisherman on Champlain for over 30 years. I have witnessed firsthand the environmental devastation that these birds have caused to the fragile environment that our native birds need to survive,and is now gone.
Unfortunately we can't see the damage that they have inflicted on our sport fishery,under the surface of the water. But it's there. We spend a great deal of money to raise fish in our hatcheries. Only to watch Cormorants aggressively feed on them. I know the state has made adjustments to there stocking programs to give the hatchery fish a fighting chance. But with the current numbers of birds currently residing in our beautiful Champlain basin,evading these predators is not an easy task.
Control efforts can only help the overall heath the Champlain Valley in many ways. Improved habitat for native birds. Better survival rate for stocked fish. Improved property values. Economic impacts for the entire region as the heath the the entire watershed improves with fewer Cormorants in it.
Hopefully with the help of Senator Leahy's office and APHIS we can see a cooperative effort to create some strong control measures. I strongly support any and all efforts to shrink the out of control population of cormorants in the Champlain Valley.
Thank you for all your efforts in the endeavor.
Robert Thorne
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

I've sent mine Paul. I'm a little late, but it's done!
Thanks for taking the bull by the horns on this.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Captain Paul

Post by Captain Paul »

Thanks Cas , Rob and Gerry for the letters I just hope there more people than this that care enough about the lake to take the time to send these emails out
mspgh
Species: northern

Post by mspgh »

I sent an email regarding the cormorants. I believe the link of Tom Berry's email has a typo in it though that you may want to correct so that emails get through to him.

Thanks to all that write.
Captain Paul

Post by Captain Paul »

I have fixed the email for tom_berry@leahy.senate.gov
Last edited by Captain Paul on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

Letter sent to Tom Berry.
Bill
"POINTER"
Captain Paul

Post by Captain Paul »

We need more letters lets turn the heat up
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

I found this somewhat confusing this morning seeing as how we are sending letters to Tom Berry and the Lake Champlain Basin Program:
Cormorant Update: While the Lake Champlain Basin Program declined involvement in controlling the population of this destructive animal currently protected by the federal government, USDA, APHIS, Wildlife Services, will use dollars from its budget to step up management later this field season. Thank you, U.S. Department of Agriculture, APHIS, Wildlife Services. That is the good news.

The not so good news is another solution will need to be found for next year. Hopefully, the Lake Champlain Basin Program sees the importance of including the solution to this government-created, basin-wide problem in its upcoming budget.
https://www.facebook.com/LakeChamplain?fref=nf
Gerry
Captain Paul

Post by Captain Paul »

Gerry not exactly the news we were looking for but better than nothing . This issue has simmered for a while now its time to turn up the heat and get it boiling hope I can get channel 5 and 3 out on the boat in the next week or two
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

Captain Paul wrote: hope I can get channel 5 and 3 out on the boat in the next week or two
That's awesome Paul.
Gerry
littleship
Species: salmon, etc.

Post by littleship »

Here is my letter to Senator Betty Little, and thank you all and Captain Paul. Jamie.

Good morning Senator Little.

I have been a fisherman on Lake Champlain most of my life. I am 47 now. I have recently noticed that there has been some eradication practices going on with the cormorants on Lake Champlain. KUDOS!!
I have witnessed first hand the destruction of environment by these invasive birds, and the loss of habitat and numbers of our (general) sea gulls. Please, if NYS is involved, and helping VTS with this eradication, KEEP IT UP! Also, if possible, please keep me updated on the practices being used and the progress of same. There are a variety of issues that affect Lake Champlain, but I feel that this is one of the most do-able fixes available to NY and VT for Lake Champlain.
These Cormorants gorge on our fish. The fish numbers have declined to where the hatcheries can barely keep up on their end.
I have one suggestion. No chemicals - No weapons needed!
The Four Brother Islands are nesting areas for these Cormorants. I was at Four Brother Islands yesterday, 8/20/2014, and saw thousands of Cormorants, and VERY FEW Sea Gulls, which also nest there. My suggestion:
NY and VT work together to capture healthy raccoons, and relocate them to each of the Four Brother Islands during the nesting season of the Cormorants. The outcome would be obvious, and with little expense to either NY or VT. When the lake freezes, the raccoons would be able to then go wherever they choose for the winter. Although they are avid swimmers and could leave any time they wanted anyway. But with food (eggs) readily available, they would be most comfortable.
Thank you Senator.
There are lots of us that live on and fish Lake Champlain that would truly love to see our lake be healthy and rid of invasives.
Jamie Crandall. Westport, NY.
Lord, if you can't help me, PLEASE don't help that bear!
Lavman
Species: Equal opportunity catcher :D

Post by Lavman »

I sent my email last month after being on Converse and getting swarmed by the damn things. Totally out of control species, IMO.