Big Fat Football Monster PIG Ginormous Browns

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Re: Big Fat Football Monster PIG Ginormous Browns

Post by vtfishin »

Thanks!!!
jusfishin
Species: Salmon

Post by jusfishin »

We go mid April every year......we run a mix bag.......either 4 or 6 lines off boards with various stick baits.....as stated above...gobies are very good...the chromers like orange, typically run in the J-7 size range....we put our shoreside lines out 75 pulls(ft if you have line counters), and outside 100 pulls...we run two riggers, back 40-50ft with a range of flies...clean, no trash......it is a blast when a double digit brownie hammers a fly in the prop wash......hang on......mix it up until you find a goto....when it's on, it really doesn't matter what you have out and down.....it all fires...the last couple years have been fantastic spring fishing.....and for the most part.....we are one of very few boats out.......we fish out of Fair Haven.....my largest brown is 16lbs, and largest Steelie is 15lbs....from what I read last year, it didn't matter what shore you were on from April to June......which matched our experience.......so for your X-mas wish list......every flavor of J-7 rapala.......and thunderstick jr, or storm jr......If you go over, plan for more than a couple days, the lake can be mean in the spring, and its tough to shoreline fish in 8 fters....but if you stick it out a day or two and it lays down....you will be in the fish for sure.....I usually pray for a big blow right before we get there....and then another one mid trip...as the water clears the fish move off, then its a switch to abit deeper water, fast tracs, and 4 riggers...still good but not as good as stained water on the shore.....last spring we had multiple 60+ fish days.......Those are 3 beautiful brownies for sure........I hope Mrs Claus treats you well....
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Won't be long now Scott till April.
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

Jusfishin, great information! Much appreciated! I can't wait to get after em!
Shake-n-Bake
Species: coldwater

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

That is a beautiful catch of Browns! Can't wait to get back out there!
See you on the pond!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

jusfishin wrote:We go mid April every year......we run a mix bag.......either 4 or 6 lines off boards with various stick baits.....as stated above...gobies are very good...the chromers like orange, typically run in the J-7 size range....we put our shoreside lines out 75 pulls(ft if you have line counters), and outside 100 pulls...we run two riggers, back 40-50ft with a range of flies...clean, no trash......it is a blast when a double digit brownie hammers a fly in the prop wash......hang on......mix it up until you find a goto....when it's on, it really doesn't matter what you have out and down.....it all fires...the last couple years have been fantastic spring fishing.....and for the most part.....we are one of very few boats out.......we fish out of Fair Haven.....my largest brown is 16lbs, and largest Steelie is 15lbs....from what I read last year, it didn't matter what shore you were on from April to June......which matched our experience.......so for your X-mas wish list......every flavor of J-7 rapala.......and thunderstick jr, or storm jr......If you go over, plan for more than a couple days, the lake can be mean in the spring, and its tough to shoreline fish in 8 fters....but if you stick it out a day or two and it lays down....you will be in the fish for sure.....I usually pray for a big blow right before we get there....and then another one mid trip...as the water clears the fish move off, then its a switch to abit deeper water, fast tracs, and 4 riggers...still good but not as good as stained water on the shore.....last spring we had multiple 60+ fish days.......Those are 3 beautiful brownies for sure........I hope Mrs Claus treats you well....

Yea Scott, I look forward to the pics you guys send realtime each year from ONT.. This was one nice school from last year...

Hope to get out there this year for at least on trip in April.
Matt B
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

HOGS!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Boy I sure would like to catch one of those.
Todd
Todd
Dockside

Post by Dockside »

Wow I want some of those!
Dukdog
Species: Salmon

Post by Dukdog »

I run big boards with lots of set back, 100 to 150 plus feet! Smithwicks were my top plugs last spring. For spoons, Michael Jackson, NBK, 42 secs. Dirty White boy and most any Green stinger seem to work good too. Again, put them way back and off to the side on boards. Fish shallow early in the morning but as the boating crowd builds and the bite slows, start working your way out and go a little deeper. I had good luck last year fishing spoons 15 to 25 down in 35 feet of water on riggers trailing 150 to 200 back. I fished May and June. I started hitting hi teen kings on July 23 fishing 80 to 90 down in 100 to 130 feet. Green and white Spin Doctors and green flys on wire line rods were my hot baits fished 300 to 350 feet out on #1 dipsys. Even a couple browns liked that combination!
Dockside

Post by Dockside »

Man that sounds like fun!
morningwood
Species: walleye

Post by morningwood »

wow what nice fish