Dog River 10/2

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Matt
Species: Any

Dog River 10/2

Post by Matt »

Well, it's been a bit since I've posted on here, had a flare up in my back for a few days, and then when I was ready to fish the Salmon Hole was blown out. So Randy and I decided to hit up the Dog River, one of the best Wild Trout fisheries in VT. Having never been to the Dog River, I was excited, but on the way there he talked about the new regulations on the river, Catch and Release only. That's when it hit me, I think its artificial ONLY too, bummer...

Good thing I took my flybox though, so it was spinners and flies until we found out more. Anyway, the water looked great, and was barely stained at all when we got there, a huge contrast compared to the Winooski, which is completely blown and dark brow. I was amazed to see such small water having such great looking holes to fish. On the way there however, we witnessed the devastation of Irene first hand. Some houses gutted, ball fields covered with debris, riversides torn away.. I couldn't believe I saw nobody fishing the river on our way up, we passed so many good looking holes, and the weather seemed just right.

We arrived at a spot to park before Randy was going to show me the "falls" he used to fish under many years ago, landing monstrous Wild Browns. Before we headed down, we noticed some great looking water under a bridge near where we parked...so we just had to give it a shot. Within minutes, we were into some nice Rainbows, and a little Brown. The largest was around 14".

This one engulfed a little White Wooly Bugger

Shortly after, we walked donw the railroad tracks to the Falls, arrived there shortly after and noticed it was a bit too high to fish under the falls because of the current. It was however, VERY deep under the falls, probably maxing around 12 ft, if only it was lower I think we could have hooked into a monster or 2. We fished there for a short while, checking out all of the debris washed up from Irene, coolers, chairs, tables, backpacks...

No luck under the falls, too much current...so we headed back up to where we parked, and randy decided to fish the other side of the Dog by crossing the bridge. He went about 50 feet downsteam on the other side, and within 5 minutes of him being there, I heard, "FISH ON!" followed by a huge SLAP, SLASH! As soon as I heard that loud thudding splash, I knew it was a nice fish. Right after that thought crossed my mind, he yelled over ,"This is a NICE fish!" After that, I ran over across the bridge to where he was fishing, and as I got there he was landing the fish. A beautiful wild Rainbow...

The picture quality isn't great, my phone for some reason turns off HD pictures after I've taken video.

After he released the beauty, we fished around the same area he just landed the fish, catching a smaller sized Rainbow each. He went further downstream and I backtracked upstream focusing on a deep pool that bends around a corner. Within 5 minutes of being there, I noticed a monster Rainbow swimming by me, heading downstream..a solid 4 lb + fish .I quickly lost sight of it. I threw in where I saw it a few dozen times with no luck, damn! I couldn't believe how clear the water was, even after all of the rain. We had to head out shortly after to be back before noon because Randy had things to do, but overall it was an awesome unforgettable day. I'll never forget the sound of that Rainbow slapping the water after flying out of the water....just awesome.

On a site note, does anyone know more about which section of river is artificial only? We fished near a bridge and the road was called Lovers Lane...off of I think Route 12? Next time I'll not forget to bring my flyrod, hopefully one of these weekdays we get to head back since the Winooski is going to be blown for a while. Figures, the beginning of October and the rivers blown, just like last year, and the best time to fish for Salmon too!
digitroll (ron)

Re: Dog River 10/2

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Nice report Matt and great photos.

We used to fish the Mad river and the Seymour river back in the early 70's and there was some nice brook, brown, and rainbow catches.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Great report Matt...that's a beauty of a wild Rainbow.
Thanks for the look.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
dreamcatcher
Species: Champlain Fishes

Post by dreamcatcher »

Some really nice looking fish there Matt congrats to you both! :)
KEN K.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Matt,

Great report and a true testament to the ability of fish to survive the "Flood".
Afterall they have survived the Glacier.

My brook in back of camp was regrowing algae on the "new" streambed two weeks ago just three weeks from "Irene" . Two days after the brookies were scooting everywhere. I'm sure they are a bit more hungry as the bug food source recovers.

Fish a black woolybugger .....Fish On !
Fish On!
plantstone

Post by plantstone »

Glad some exploring paid off!
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Thanks, do you guys know who I should contact to see what part of the river is artificial only?
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Matt great report and pics!!!! My guess would be to contact fish and game!! Sleeps
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

Matt, I looked in the VT fishing regs. and came up with the following statement.
" From the downstream edge of the Junction Rd. Bridge in Berlin/Montpelier to Northfield Falls Dam in Northfield.
Trout must be released immediately and only artificial lures may be used".
I've always had the best luck around the first bridge on Rte. 12 just out of Montpelier. There are some fat rainbows in that section and it's pretty accessible. A good spot is a little ways south where the rail bridge is. I pulled a 14" Rainbow off the gravel island several years ago. Like I said, it's been since many years since I've flyfished. I set up my rod this weekend and am hoping to try my luck before the end of the month. I've seen 5lb. Browns pulled out of the Dog during October, so enjoy.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Ahhh the DOG! What memories... I had a buddy from college from Barre and he turned me onto the DOG while we were at VTC... I remember many long nights after class hitting the DOG at dusk and bringing big trout back to our rooms to cookup on the hot plate we had.... Precious memories....

Especially the night we caught the bat in a net on the river after dark and tacked it to the bulliten board on the girls floor alive.... Seems nasty, but it didn't stay long after it work up the 1st girl.... ;)
Matt B
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

So, Reelax, was that the start of " white nose syndrome"? Just wondering. PETA will be calling.