Altmar Hatchery..

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
dreamcatcher
Species: Champlain Fishes

Altmar Hatchery..

Post by dreamcatcher »

Stopped by the Altmar hatchery while I was over at Lake Ontario and snapped a few pic's and a couple short videos. They were stocking 68,000 Atlantic salmon in the creek! Image Heres a pic's of the shot and a couple videos of the ladder, notice the lamprey on one of the salmon Image Image Image Hope this make it on, it's taken me a while to get this up!! :roll: Need to click on the videos.
KEN K.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Altmar Hatchery..

Post by Reelax »

Them little ones look like tiger trout!

:mrgreen:
Matt B
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Very cool.
Thanks!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Shaye D Winds

Post by Shaye D Winds »

Reelax wrote:Them little ones look like tiger trout!

:mrgreen:

Yea, I noticed that too.
Shortstop
Species: Any

Post by Shortstop »

We were there on Saturday (9/24) for open house. The holding pens was packed with
fish.... They said most of the in the holding pens were Cohos... Egg take was not planned
until Columbus week.... WOW, the fish have to wait. We fished the river for about 5 hours
and saw about 3 fish landed.... Very slow.
dreamcatcher

Post by dreamcatcher »

I seen alot of fish being caught by certain people from another country! :x [snagging] This was at the sportsmans hole so I left there and went up to the treasel hole much better fishing, had lots of fish on. Wish I would of brought my boat over the lake was perfect all week maybe next time! :)
KEN K.
vtperchman
Species: all

Post by vtperchman »

nice :mrgreen:
Reel Delight (Walt)
Species: Trout, Salmon, & other

Post by Reel Delight (Walt) »

Snagging.... that sounds like real sportsman.

BTW, if I saw them, I might be making a telephone call.
Retired & ready to fish!
Arima Sea Ranger "Reel Delight"
Past President of the Lake George Fishing Alliance
member of the US Power Squadron and USN Vet.
Formerly AKA "Fishing Eagle"
dreamcatcher

Post by dreamcatcher »

Where's a warden when you would like to see one? :x
KEN K.
champlain fisher
Species: salmonoids

Post by champlain fisher »

dreamcatcher wrote:Where's a warden when you would like to see one? :x
They are there, they just can't be everywhere at once. I have heard that they are handing out tickets more this year then in the past and there are some dressed up like fisherman. If they keep at it long enough they will get caught. Ontario has a lot of miles of tribs to patrol and not to mention the hunting seasons that are open in N.Y. as well.
Salmon, the other pink meat.
Shaye D Winds

Post by Shaye D Winds »

Shortstop (Bob) wrote:We were there on Saturday (9/24) for open house. The holding pens was packed with
fish.... They said most of the in the holding pens were Cohos... Egg take was not planned
until Columbus week.... WOW, the fish have to wait. We fished the river for about 5 hours
and saw about 3 fish landed.... Very slow.

We caught quite a few cohos when we were there in September. Sounds like they are making a comeback.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Snagging.....

Troy tells it like it is as profiled on this copy and paste from 10/7/10 on his high adventure report after a major flood last year:

Salmon River Fishing Report 10/7/10
I am sorry I don’t update this page everyday. I get so many e-mails looking for info and I do the best I can with the time I have.

River update

Water is high and colored Still a lot of people in town but not the numbers that the area needs to make it through another winter.

To all of you who are still fishing, we all thank you for your support.

To those of you that want to know about how the river has changed, other than major erosion, loss of river bank and hundreds of tress gone forever, I will not know what holes have changed until the water drops and clears and to be honest I will probably keep any new secret holes to myself for awhile, sorry but it is what it is. :)

Here is how it breaks down.

60% of the people are in the small streams and ditches doing bad things to the fish. As much as they are spending money, this is not good.

30% of the people are on the river and creeks and have no clue what to do or where to fish. They are discouraged and depressed.

10% of the people are fishing the Salmon River and are pounding fresh kings and giant chrome trout. They have it figured out. They just fish to them. Savvy anglers are using big gooey egg sacs and hunks of skein under floats or bottom bouncing. Fly guys are swinging bright flies, in fluorescent orange, chartreuse and pink and getting the job done.

This is bang tango time! Just fish and hang on!!
dreamcatcher

Post by dreamcatcher »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:Snagging.....

Troy tells it like it is as profiled on this copy and paste from 10/7/10 on his high adventure report after a major flood last year:

Salmon River Fishing Report 10/7/10
I am sorry I don’t update this page everyday. I get so many e-mails looking for info and I do the best I can with the time I have.

River update

Water is high and colored Still a lot of people in town but not the numbers that the area needs to make it through another winter.

To all of you who are still fishing, we all thank you for your support.

To those of you that want to know about how the river has changed, other than major erosion, loss of river bank and hundreds of tress gone forever, I will not know what holes have changed until the water drops and clears and to be honest I will probably keep any new secret holes to myself for awhile, sorry but it is what it is. :)

Here is how it breaks down.

60% of the people are in the small streams and ditches doing bad things to the fish. As much as they are spending money, this is not good.

30% of the people are on the river and creeks and have no clue what to do or where to fish. They are discouraged and depressed.

10% of the people are fishing the Salmon River and are pounding fresh kings and giant chrome trout. They have it figured out. They just fish to them. Savvy anglers are using big gooey egg sacs and hunks of skein under floats or bottom bouncing. Fly guys are swinging bright flies, in fluorescent orange, chartreuse and pink and getting the job done.

This is bang tango time! Just fish and hang on!!
Ron; thanks for putting that up, there are new holes to fish that were not there last year. The 10% part is right on about the guys with the fly rods they were doing really well, I don't have my fly rod anymore for about 15 years now but saved some of my flys these are some that I was useing with a spinning rod and a split shot or two!Image Image I'm not sure if the colors will come out in these pic's but tryed! PInks,yellow,orange,some blues. Comets worked good.
KEN K.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Awesome flies! Spinning rod + split shot with flies can work very well too!
champlain fisher
Species: salmonoids

Post by champlain fisher »

Like Troy states in his report - greater rewards come from fishing and presenting your weapon of choice to the fish. I do very well from early Oct on bottom bouncing egg sacs with 5-7 salmon eggs in them. Get less kings because they can see the sac in time to move away. The hit of a dime bright steelie though is worth less kings. There are also some bruiser browns that will take sacs.
Salmon, the other pink meat.