Hudson River Stripers

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
MADSIERRA
Species: if it swims

Hudson River Stripers

Post by MADSIERRA »

The Bite Is ON in Kingston! Talked with Flashpoint yesterday his smallest fish was 17lbs, cpl in the 20lb and a 30lbr to finish out his box for the day. Lots of others that were returned to fight another day. Salmon Slayer had over 20 fish on the day last I heard. Cloud nine did a 38 lbr this past weekend. heard of a cpl over 40 lbs past few days. I am heading down today to start my charters for the season. We will keep you posted. with the bite seeming to be slow on Champlain rite now some of you should load up the boat and make the trip!....its a blast!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Hudson River Stripers

Post by Reelax »

Do you guys troll for them? What kind of hardware??
Matt B
LiL Pup (Rob)

Post by LiL Pup (Rob) »

when i went down we trolled for them with stick baits off riggers
riverrunner
Species: Salmonids

Post by riverrunner »

My buddy's headed to fish with flashpoint 2morrow. Probably be recieving some pictures from him
Lavman
Species: Equal opportunity catcher :D

Post by Lavman »

We fished stripers in Troy, NY last year just below the dam.

Once on the water we caught fresh herring on, well, a herring rig, put the herring in a big bucket and used them for bait.

We hooked the herring in the mouth, put a 1 ounce sinker about 20" up from the hook and cast it out. Also tried jigging the herring. All done while anchored or off shore. Tough to beat the live herring when that is what the stripers are feeding on.

We boated one nice striper, had several hook-ups that got off. We were using circle hooks and I submit those were the reason we lost fish. If I go back I will use 4/0 trebles!
Wellsley (Frank)

Post by Wellsley (Frank) »

Headed to the Hudson tomorrow morning. Many 40" fish being caught this year.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

the best sticks down there a are f-18 Rapalas(original) in Hot Steel,firetiger and crawdad if you have any.Troll 2.6 to 3.0 down 12 to 15 feet 15 to 70 back depending on the mood of the fish, A gps with maps is essential to stay off the sand bars and ledges, there is a lot of dangerously shallow spots if you don't know the river. Fish will be in huge pods when they are on the spawn,,,,It's an awesome thing to see when your sonar blacks out with fish
tuckhunts87
Species: salmon, lakers, bass, pike

Post by tuckhunts87 »

where do u fish on the Hudson? I have a 15ft boat, could I fish in the river?
Wellsley (Frank)

Post by Wellsley (Frank) »

Definitely, there are many 12' row boats with motors out there even kayak's. Lots of shore fisherman too. I fish for Troy dam to Catskill. Just pick a launch and go. The herring are biting the best in the Albany area at this time.
MADSIERRA

Post by MADSIERRA »

Sorry for just getting back on line to post. We fish out of Kingston, Ny. and as Frank stated we use mostly rapala's in f18 size. We stay @ the marina either sleeping in the boats or most of use bring our campers, there are many hotels in the area. The last 4 days have been awesome many fish everyday for most everyone, a lot of fish in the 8-16 lb range and 1-3 20 plus everyday. most of the Big Cow's are still here waiting to spawn and more coming every day so fishing should be good for @ least a week or more.
MADSIERRA

Post by MADSIERRA »

The fishing is still great in the Kingston area, We did 24 fish yesterday and Flashpoint Did almost 20 as well...17 lbs was biggest on the day. looks to be good for a while as new fish move in everyday. 14-20 feet down, fire tiger, black/silver, bleeding shad are still HOT!
swallowmypride
Species: walleye

Post by swallowmypride »

I am wondering if you heard about the 35+ fish that was caught and had a fishing pole attached to it?? Anyone hear about that? One of the guys we were fishing with wasn't paying attention and had a fish on, before he had a chance to grab the rod, it went overboard rod holder and everything! Rumor has it (over the radio) someone caught it, I would love to hear the story and/or see the pictures!!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

swallowmypride wrote:I am wondering if you heard about the 35+ fish that was caught and had a fishing pole attached to it?? Anyone hear about that? One of the guys we were fishing with wasn't paying attention and had a fish on, before he had a chance to grab the rod, it went overboard rod holder and everything! Rumor has it (over the radio) someone caught it, I would love to hear the story and/or see the pictures!!
I'd like to hear it too...sounds like a great story.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
MADSIERRA

Post by MADSIERRA »

We did hear the story that day on the river. guy came on the radio and said he had just caught a rod/reel and a fish! he was trying to find the guy that lost the pole on the radio...he even gave a description of the rod/reel but know one came back saying it was there's. I did not hear how big the fish was and not sure he said on the radio @ the time. We were fishing down on the flats by the barges @ the time we heard about it...not sure where where the guy was that caught your rod/reel.
swallowmypride
Species: walleye

Post by swallowmypride »

MADSIERRA wrote:We did hear the story that day on the river. guy came on the radio and said he had just caught a rod/reel and a fish! he was trying to find the guy that lost the pole on the radio...he even gave a description of the rod/reel but know one came back saying it was there's. I did not hear how big the fish was and not sure he said on the radio @ the time. We were fishing down on the flats by the barges @ the time we heard about it...not sure where where the guy was that caught your rod/reel.

DO you have any way on knowing who it was? That is so funny, I wonder if the fish was still alive? Are you still fishing them? Do you remember what day it was? My buddy that lost his pole lives down there, but I live in VT.