Lots of Lakers off colchester point!

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Big Bear
Species: Cold water

Lots of Lakers off colchester point!

Post by Big Bear »

I was with my friend Tim and we were trolling faster for salmon and still kept getting Lakers! 3 off planar board flatlines and 1 off leadcore 1.5 colors out. Not one hit off downriggers. Everything came in 8-18 FOW. 46 degrees surface temp out there and super fun South 15 knot chop. 3 of the 4 were into the chop and one was with the wind. Caught one that was a wild laker and saved him from a lamprey. Still cold out there with the wind in the am. Had to put up the spray shields to get warm. We were largest boat out there, 4-5 smaller boats. A few going slower were picking up more lakers.

Started at 6:50am trolling inner bay starting a little past Niquettes and out past beer can up to Lamoile and over towards Robinson. Nada.
Attachments
IMG_4084.jpeg
IMG_4084.jpeg (137.82 KiB) Viewed 671 times
IMG_4085.jpeg
IMG_4085.jpeg (156.05 KiB) Viewed 683 times
striper192001
Species: salmon

Re: Lots of Lakers off colchester point!

Post by striper192001 »

Nice report Big Bear. Boat looks sweet.......
I have been wondering if there were any salmon in the bay......?
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Good to hear you got out and
Had action Eric… were there lots of lamprey up there?
Matt B
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

Just one that was live. All the lakers had scars.
Skylander
Species: That which swims & tastes good

Post by Skylander »

Striper,

I found one in the Outer last week, fairly excited as it was the first in years for me between these large white walls!
campskylandvt.com
striper192001
Species: salmon

Post by striper192001 »

Love to hear that Sky...........just might have to give it a try
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

Skylander wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:15 pm Striper,

I found one in the Outer last week, fairly excited as it was the first in years for me between these large white walls!
Where were you and how deep? We missed a big salmon last week off the inside tressle trolling south moving from 20 to 30 FOW off a downrigger at 12’.

Usually later in the spring and very early summer I find some from the lamouille out to the cut.

What I land in a few months is what folks fishing south in converse and such land in 1-2 weekends.

There just isn’t a large salmon population up here anymore. And I catch more in the outer bay than broad lake off colchester reef. 15-20yrs ago I would catch a lot out there, now just a few per year.
Skylander
Species: That which swims & tastes good

Post by Skylander »

Big Bear,
Yeah, it's not like it was for sure. Even the Broad lake has been fairly barren of Silver for me North of the Winooski for years. That area you dropped one last week holds such a mixed bag of species throughout the open water season. I was in the opposite corner, much farther NE. Rigger @ 10 over 13 FOW, hit a sliding cheater. Have you ventured into the Sea yet?
campskylandvt.com
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

I was where you were last weekend and didn’t have much luck, but was in deeper water.

My boat is on a dock in the bay and too tall to get under the bridge, so it’s either a haul up through the gut or I pull it and launch up there. Either way I don’t fish the IS more than 1-2 times per year. I keep hoping that the salmon make their way back up here…