NY boating license

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
Pcraft237
Species: All

NY boating license

Post by Pcraft237 »

I just completed the required boating course for license needed in NY by 2025. Having been operating boats for more than 50 years and having been. NY licensed fishing guide running a 24 ft charter boat on Lake George I was not too happy about having to get a license. Called NY Parks and Recreation marine expert to see if expired guide’s license would work No. She asked, “Don’t you want safety on water.” Yeah of course. “Well that’s why the license. For safety.” Then why doesn’t someone who rents a boat need one? “That’s a money thing.” So it doesnt seem it is about safety.
Anyone know if Vermonters fishing NY waters are required to be licensed? I am guessing not.
The course is a pain. Much of it does not relate to our area. And anyone who has experience will not gain much.
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

Re: NY boating license

Post by cpmaple »

Makes no since why far as a renter don't but, someone with many years experience does. I took mine back in the early 90's the first time in NY then I worked for a company who wanted their employees to have it since we worked on the water an with boats every day. So that played us to take it regardless if you had it already or not so I did this time by a VT instructor in late 90's. So I have one from both sides of the pond.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: NY boating license

Post by Reelax »

Seems like more gov over reach and hands in your pocket. I am interested in hearing if they will require vt folks to take it who use the reciprocal fishing agreement.?
Matt B