Passing of Charter Frostbiter

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Passing of Charter Frostbiter

Post by Surprise »

We lost one of Our Charter Member Frostbiters last week.

We Lost my Longtime fishing pal Dave Werle last week to Brain Cancer. In February Dave was progressing well at home and then things unwound rapidly with his passing Wednesday March 27 .

His growing up on the water in Maryland led to his Love of wanting to be in and around the medium. His first boat "Crabman" is now "Surprise"

Dave and I fished together since the mid 80's. Lots of memories were made sharing time together on the water "messing about in boats"

As I'll Remember him:

David Werle, 80, of Middlebury
April 4, 2024

DAVID WERLE

MIDDLEBURY — David Werle, 80, of Middlebury, Vermont, passed away peacefully on Wednesday, March 27, 2024, at the Helen Porter Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center in Middlebury after a courageous battle with cancer.

David was born on July 13, 1943, in Pittsburgh, PA, but his formative childhood years were spent on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay in Annapolis, MD, where he learned to pick blue crabs and guitars. He then made his way to New Wilmington, PA, where he attended Westminster College. He spent much of his time before graduation playing bluegrass music and joining in student protests.

The seeds of activism sown, he made his way to the hippie scene in Manhattan, where he taught elementary school in Harlem. He introduced his students to film and photography, which would become a lifelong passion and, ultimately, his profession. Speaking of lifelong passion, he also met Susan, the woman who would become his wife and partner.

The two decided to settle down in Vermont, where they bought a farm, a bull, and a rooster. David then established himself as a small business owner, opening the Middlebury Darkroom at 64 Main Street. That would soon be followed by a number of other Middlebury fixtures, including The Kitchen Shop, True Confections, and Lightning Photo. David and Susan also established themselves as parents, as they welcomed their children, Jillian and Jonathan, into the world.

David was a warm and thoughtful host who loved to entertain, famous for his homemade pâtés, smoked fish, and barbecue ribs — and the man could pour a mean martini. When he wasn’t cooking, he could often be found on the golf course, playing music with family, watching the Sox, throwing Maryland-style crab feasts, or fishing on Lake Champlain with the Frostbite Fleet. With a quick wit and a generous laugh, he was always ready to have a good time with his family and friends. He was a warm and loving husband, father, and grandfather.

David is survived by his wife, Susan, his children Jillian and Jonathan, their spouses Ryan Torres and Anya Hoffman, and his grandchildren Benjamin, Sama, Ruby, and Tema.

A celebration of his life will be held on June 15th at 1 p.m. at CVUUS in Middlebury. Donations in his memory can be made to the Lois McClure – Bee Tabakin Hope Lodge in Burlington, VT. ◊
Fish On!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: Passing of Charter Frostbiter

Post by raz »

My condolences Randy. Sorry for the loss of your Frostbite Pal.
I know he'll be sorely missed but he's most likely in a better place.
Be well Randy.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

My sympathy Randy 😢
This is something I hate when getting older is the lost of friends and family in our circle.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Sorry to hear this sad news Randy. Looks like you still have many memories. Rest in Peace Dave, hope you’re feeling the pull everyday now.
Matt B
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Sorry for your loss Randy. We feel your pain.
The good memories will always prevail.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Nice post on your close friend Dave. I was lucky enough to fish with Dave on your boat on several occasions. He was fun to fish with and the stories were endless on those frostbite trips. Sad to see him pass a great friend of yours and sportsman. Dave was an integral part of the frostbite experience in the early days. Rest in peace Dave!
striper192001
Species: salmon

Post by striper192001 »

So sorry to hear........good fishing buddies hard to find.........