2024 DYP derby date set…. 5/18/24

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

2024 DYP derby date set…. 5/18/24

Post by Reelax »

It’s that time of year again when we try to mix up the fleet a little and hold the annual DRAW YOUR PARTNER derby….

This year we have Country Angler, Greenhorn, AveJoe, Homewrecker and myself working the project so we hope to have some really cool prizes and BBQ fair at the end…

If anyone has any ideas of organizations we should contact for possible donated prizes please post here…

For those who don’t know the DYP is a derby were you either sign up with boat or without boat. We hold a random draw a week or so before the derby to pair folks. You may end up with a good buddy or you may meet a new fishin partner… luck of the draw:) 4-5 of my closest fishing partners were met while fishing this derby in years past! It’s great to meet and learn from new fishermen…

There has also been a new rule where you can signup and fish as a family but only 4 rods and 2 anglers in the boat are allowed to enter fish… if you want to fish as a family with a child please just sign up as with child… This new rule has added a great dynamic to the derby and we look forward to including as many kids as we can.

There is a BBQ starting at 1pm in the Converse parking lot to Kickoff the award ceremony where you can share fishing stories of the day and some good food.

Biggest salmon/brown/rainbow from the lake caught between 1st light and 1pm weigh in takes the trophy. Each person in the winning boat gets to keep one of the coveted twin trophies till the 2025 DYI… And you name will be engraved in the trophies for eternity:)

NO derby fee, all you need is a VT or NY fishin Licence;)

We look forward to everyone being involved.
This is a chance for the folks who don’t have a boat to get out and troll… We will do a signup thread for folks to signup as “with boat” or “no boat” in the coming days…

Thanks to all who have participated in previous years…
Attachments
IMG_9908.jpeg
IMG_9908.jpeg (229.23 KiB) Viewed 593 times
IMG_3768.jpeg
IMG_3768.jpeg (191.57 KiB) Viewed 594 times
IMG_3762.jpeg
IMG_3762.jpeg (217.35 KiB) Viewed 594 times
IMG_3745.jpeg
IMG_3745.jpeg (145.51 KiB) Viewed 594 times
IMG_3751.jpeg
IMG_3751.jpeg (188.34 KiB) Viewed 594 times
IMG_3771.jpeg
IMG_3771.jpeg (276.99 KiB) Viewed 594 times
Matt B
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: 2024 DYP derby date set…. 5/18/24

Post by Reelax »

Matt B
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

My daughter & I can't wait - 2 months will be a long time away !

Thanks to everyone who's working to organize this great event !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
striper192001
Species: salmon

Post by striper192001 »

What...............no pics of last year's winner ???? lol
So a question........Can the winner team from previous year fish together to try and regain the trophy ?? If not.....it is OK as I look forward to meeting someone new.

BTW.....I have this plaque proudly hung and being displayed in my office. I will post a pic prior to the date.
What do I need to do to get a plate engraved for it as we haven't done that as of yet.
Once again.....I want to thank everyone here for all the help I have received !
John
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

I got you John.

If you look in the very top background, you can see one of the winners!

KIMG1088.JPG
KIMG1088.JPG (171.51 KiB) Viewed 473 times

As I understand it, the only teams that aren't randomly drawn, are families, with kids 16 and under. So unless you get randomly paired with your partner from last year again, you will have a new partner.

I haven't talked to my boys yet about their plans, they're all wicked busy now, baseball, track, AAU basketball, etc. I was kicking around the idea of giving Liam the Country Angler, and me being a no boat sign up, but I don't know yet. The boy in Matt's picture above to the left of me is taller than me now, and the one not pictured who is his little brother and Liam's older brother, is bigger than the one who's bigger than me. What a difference a couple years time makes in life.

I'm in though one way or another. I just replaced the power trim motor on the Country Angler, that I had forgotten was broken some time around New Years, the last time we got out. Got to get out there soon to start scouting. There's rumors of the Vergennes Fishing Team fleet maybe making an appearance out there this weekend...
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
striper192001
Species: salmon

Post by striper192001 »

Hey Jack,

Hope they are paying you well as it must be tough with all the groceries you need with those growing boys........I remember how they can eat !
What I love about this pic is the wrecked Big Jon rigger shown. I had to buy a new arm and then sold them to buy my Scotty's.
It was a stroke of luck my fish was a 1/2 oz heavier or so. I did have a great time and learned much at the bbq.
thanks again for all the help and I am still learning my Garmin
John
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Can't wait!! I'm the one holding the scale with Dilly Worm's fish on it in Jack's picture. I'll sign up "With Boat", but would gladly jump on with someone else if the numbers don't work out right. We had a blast last year, I believe we caught 9 salmon ... just not quite big enough.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

Crayfish wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:06 pm Can't wait!! I'm the one holding the scale with Dilly Worm's fish on it in Jack's picture...
Thanks for helping with the weigh-in last year. But credit where it's due, that's not my fish - it's my daughter's !

She cracks me up in this photo taken a little while later that day, like she's reminding me to act like you've won plenty of derbys before: No Smiling:
No Smiling, I've done this before !
No Smiling, I've done this before !
DYP-kid-trophy.JPG (44.26 KiB) Viewed 413 times
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !