Frostbite Float Feb 15, 2024

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Frostbite Float Feb 15, 2024

Post by Surprise »

Well after a long time off the pond my Friend John McClary and I decided that Thursday would be a good day to see if we had the Mo-Jo to hook some salmon.

Being a chilly day for senior fellows we decided that 10:00 Am was a good time to meet at Converse. Splashed the boat in some skim ice and broke out headed to Wallons. Water temp 37.5 degrees after a big north blow the night before.

There was no ice in Wallons due to the north exposure. We set up two side planers back 75 and out 70 running smelt like Challengers.

Set a Leadcore tail gunner out 2 colors with a black green stripe Crazy Ivan. A Downrigger 0ut 40 and down 8 with a perch Challenger.

John forgot to bring the Blueberry scones his wife Kristin made so we were forced to break out Kathy's Intense Chocolate Brownies that were to be dessert. I must say they were wonderful with some Irish Breakfast Tea.

We hooked up a salmon right quick and caught a scale sample for Kurt Heim of USFWS. The day rounded as that with basically 17 inch fish on all presentations. Never changed lures.

We squeaked in lunch of Tuscan Bean soup and Kathy's crescent rolls, A honeybell orange that Carl sent from Florida and finished off the brownies.

We finished the day with 11 for 12 on salmon the largest was 22 that delighted us with constant jumps. A Northern Pike of about 8lbs that was a real brute to bring in.

In my maneuvers to not break him off and lose my Challenger we managed to hook a mooring rope with the other side planer Challenger. Oh Crap .......Boat to neutral hold the rod, net the pike and then as you know John trying to not get lacerated with teeth or hooked by the little trebles as I still hold the rod. Pike released and boat back in gear to circle back to have John retrieve the lure and planer board from the mooring.

all fish happily released.

Pulled and quit after that at 3PM

Sent off the scale samples to Kurt today.

Great day out
Fish On!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Frostbite Float Feb 15, 2024

Post by Reelax »

Very nice outting and results!!! Glad to hear you are back on the pond Randy. We are gonna give it a spin here in an hr or so… will see what today brings…
Matt B
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

nice job randy and crew!!!!
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice to see your post Randy. Looks like you had a good time on the water with many bent rods and some adventure with a mooring rope.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Speedy
Species: Trout/Salmon

Post by Speedy »

Looks like you guys had a great day. Thanks for the report. Can't wait until I get out there late March.
"Tight Lines"
Speedy