Proposed Salisbury Hatchery Closing

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Proposed Salisbury Hatchery Closing

Post by Surprise »

Sent off to My Legislators :

https://www.wcax.com/video/2024/01/29/v ... -hatchery/

Hello,

I just want to express my thoughts that the small amount of money to be saved is Penny wise and Dollar foolish. The impact it will have with the ongoing recruitment for fisher license purchasers is forever compromised as well is any compound dollar added value.

A 3-5 year recovery on stocking effect will discourage users of the resource with a diminished experience and limit recruitment of new participants. Our citizens and visitors to Vermont hold this as a Vermont Quality of Life entitlement.

Now more than ever our streams need put and take stocking as the effects of climate change alter our streams ability to hold any wild fishery in many watersheds as we seek any meaningful solution to Saving a Buck.

To find your Legislators:

https://legislature.vermont.gov/

Thank You,
Randy Colomb
442 Plank Rd
Waltham, VT.
Last edited by Surprise on Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish On!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Proposed Salsbury Hatchery Closing

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks Randy for your dedication.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

You know since the last time this idea was floated billions of federal dollars have been flooded into this state with the legislature spending it like drunken sailors. This is not a new issue and it seems that Herrick and company had time to procure some of those funds to try to solve the problem.We should remind mister Herrick that he also serves the sportpersons of this state and not just acts a rubber stamp for the governors whims.I believe at the end of the day this will save nothing and totally disrupt a system that has been firmly in place of decades. I believe we are entitled to a complete report and cost analysis. I believe Commissioner Herrick should resign. This is what happens when people with poor experience get state jobs. I urge all fisherman to get involved here and contact the gov and their representatives
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

This is the YouTube video of the Vermont Committee on House Appropriations yesterday with the Fish & Wildlife Commissioner laying out his plan, discussing cutbacks and answering questions.
Who knew that LCI has been receiving $30,000 from VTFG?

https://www.youtube.com/live/BTulUYuVq1 ... hyfSksiUha
Bill
"POINTER"
striper192001
Species: salmon

Re: Proposed Salisbury Hatchery Closing

Post by striper192001 »

I don't have the patience to sit through this 2 hour video, can anyone tell me when they talk about the "rationale" of closing the hatchery ?
fishfarmer
Species: Piscies

Post by fishfarmer »

striper192001 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:28 am I don't have the patience to sit through this 2 hour video, can anyone tell me when they talk about the "rationale" of closing the hatchery ?
I think the hatchery stuff starts around 18:00, maybe 40 minutes long.
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

This was posted by Mike Covey on Fish802 FB site

"I’ve had a lot of folks asking me why they are closing the Salisbury hatchery knowing how detrimental this will be to Vermonters and our fishery. According to Commissioner Herrick it is simply because Governor Scott told him to close it. When the commissioner acknowledged that the hatchery was in compliance with their discharge permit, ANR Secretary Julie Moore deflected to macroinvertebrates, but according to the 2025 budget booklet it appears the decision to immediately close the hatchery is the result of pay raises.

The outdoor community had a handshake agreement with Governor Scott in 2019. Leaders from several sporting organizations met with he and his staff in his ceremonial office and signed an agreement to support a fee increase on hunting, fishing, and combination licenses as a mechanism for keeping the hatchery running; and for most of this community it has been a real gut punch to see the administration go back on that agreement.
To now learn that the Salisbury closure is a knee-jerk reaction to funding raises that were finalized way back in August is incredibly disappointing.

See page 7 of the Budget Overview
https://legislature.vermont.gov/Documen ... 7LmjgOgBx4

2 IMPORTANT UPCOMING MEETINGS
Short notice, folks, but the legislature wants to hear from you. If you care about our trout fishery, make plans to attend one of these public hearings on Tuesday or Thursday and speak. Sign up now.

We are moving the needle, folks!
The legislature will be holding a Public Hearing on the Governor’s Recommended Fiscal Year 2025 Budget. This is your chance to show up and ask them to find a way to keep the Salisbury hatchery working for Vermonters!

The Vermont House Committee on Appropriations and Senate Committee on Appropriations will jointly hold two public hearings on
Tuesday, February 13, 2024 at 3:00 p.m. and
Tuesday, February 20, 2024 at 5:30 p.m.

in person at the State House in Room 11 or via Zoom.

The Committee will take testimony on the Governor’s budget at the above dates and times.
Anyone interested in testifying should sign up in advance of the hearing through the following online form: https://forms.office.com/pages/responsepage.aspx... no later than February 12, 2024 at 12:00 noon for the February 13 hearing and no later than February 19 at 12:00 noon for the February 20 hearing.
Instructions on how to access and participate in the hearing will be sent once you have signed up for the hearing.
Written testimony is also an option and can be submitted electronically through email at testimony2024@leg.state.vt.us or mailed to the House Committee on Appropriations, c/o Erin Viera, 115 State Street, Montpelier, VT 05633"

ADDED NOTE FROM STATE re SIGN UP as of 9am MON FEB 12
We have reached the maximum amount of participants for both the Feb. 13th and 20th public hearings. You can still submit written testimony via e-mail to testimony2024@leg.state.vt.us. Please indicate in the subject line FY25 Budget.
Bill
"POINTER"
Mistress
Species: cold water

Post by Mistress »

I attended our local Legislative update meeting in Milton this past Saturday and Sen. Irene Wrenner did say the Salisbury Hatchery was on the schedule to discuss/debate this week and she SEEMED to be for keeping it open, although did not come out and say as much. As Mike Covey posted Phil Scott is NOT a friend of the sportsmen and women and could care less now that he has been in office with any upcoming challengers. He is just another shake your hand and piss on your leg at the same time politician who used us to get elected initially!
If we all reach out to our respective Legislators I think we do have a chance of saving the hatchery. It is a form of environmental sustainability after all!!
Chitt. North Senator
Irene Wrenner Iwrenner@leg.state.vt.us

State Reps. For NW VT
Julia Andrews jandrews@leg.state.vt.us
Joisie Levitt jleaviitt@leg.state.vt.us
Chris Mattos cmattos@leg.state.vt.us
Michael Morgan mmorgan@leg.state.vt.us
Chris Taylor ctaylor@leg.state.vt.us
Mistress
Species: cold water

Post by Mistress »

I have heard back from a few Reps and one Sen (email below) and those who have responded are in favor of keeping the hatchery open. Granted the Reps I reached out to support sportsmen, the fact that Sen Wrenner is onboard is encouraging.
Attachments
IMG_7401.png
IMG_7401.png (159.05 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
fishfarmer
Species: Piscies

Post by fishfarmer »

Here's an update on the Bill S-0312 movement, there is a link in this article from the Vermont Daily Chronicle.
https://vermontdailychronicle.com/bill- ... ate-floor/