New Years Salmon Hand Over Fist

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Mistress
Species: cold water

New Years Salmon Hand Over Fist

Post by Mistress »

My loyal fishing partner Jim and I took a quick trip to the Inland Sea to kick off the new year and in spite of ourselves were not skunked! The air temp was 25 degrees with a steady 10 mph N wind and 1-2 foot waves, lake surface temp was 38. We marked plenty of decent fish, “herds of them” as an old salt I know says, just very little bait to set up on. When we finally did find some bait after poking around for an hour we hooked up with a 14” salmon and yup, the reel was frozen solid so Jim kicked into ice mode and hand lined it to the boat for a quick pick and back it went.
The bite was on a longline 120’ back, pink Needlefish with bimini. Nothing on riggers set at 40-50 where we were marking all the fish. I am sure we would have caught more along with pneumonia had we stayed out longer but a certain someone (NOT Jim) underestimated the wind and should have brought another layer :lol:
Great way to start 2024!!
Hand lining video below
https://youtube.com/shorts/8s_usyw2XFU? ... JEnaEGLpDi
Attachments
IMG_7085.png
IMG_7085.png (476.92 KiB) Viewed 957 times
IMG_7099.jpeg
IMG_7099.jpeg (167.44 KiB) Viewed 957 times
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: New Years Salmon Hand Over Fist

Post by Reelax »

Loved the video of the frozen reel and the decision to switch to hand lining!!!! You guys earned that fish… headed there Wed for a spin around…

Thanks for the update!!
Matt B