Correct Angle?

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
Speedy
Species: Trout/Salmon

Correct Angle?

Post by Speedy »

Bought my 16ft. Aluma-Craft used and the last owner up-graded the trailer wheels/tires from 12" to 13" but left two 12" spares on the spare tire mounts. I'm starting to prepare for my 3,000 mile tow to VT, so I replaced the existing 13" wheel/tires with a new set and put old ones on the spare rack. Problem was there is only a few inches between the larger tires and the bow of the boat...This would be a problem loading. So I loosened and slid the rack/mount forward. Then the crank handle for the winch hit the tire. So I remounted the winch from horizontal mount to vertical. Now the bow strap pulls only slightly down and back, instead of 30-45 degree angle down. Do I need a increased angle? I now removed the one spare off the Port side to allow room for handles. Do you recommend relocating the winch base down flat again to give more angle. Big difference in size between 12" and 13" tire O.D 7 inches larger. Any proper "Rule of Angle"? I will remove the carabiner and only use the strap hook to the bow eye ring.
Thanks, "Speedy"
Attachments
12in vrs 13 in.jpg
12in vrs 13 in.jpg (114.33 KiB) Viewed 618 times
Bow strap angle.jpg
Bow strap angle.jpg (148.47 KiB) Viewed 618 times
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Correct Angle?

Post by Reelax »

You can use that setup if you can get a strap from the boat islet directly down to the trailer frame or base of the rack somewhere. I had to do this on a 21’ Lund I had due to the rack angle and it worked fine…

Good luck..

We are launching in morning on inland sea at 12 deg. Should be a frostbite dream:)
Matt B