Frostbite Shootout 2023 Results

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Frostbite Shootout 2023 Results

Post by Surprise »

Yes We Did it!

Competed Another Shootout our 2023 winner Jeremy "Fat Head" Lucia from St. George VT. Jeremy pulled through with our only entry of a Very Hansom 25 inch 5lb15oz. Landlock Salmon!

Jeremy fished with Reggie "Instigator" Swenor on Reggie's Boat. They hooked up with the winning salmon on a black and chartheuse Mooselook wobbler with a black back on 4 colors of 15 pound leadcore and a 50 foot fluorocarbon leader in the Split Rock/Thompson's Point Ozone.

Reggie got to present his fishing Partner and winner the Jud Swenor Memorial Trophy for it's first year! Congratulations to Jeremy!

We had a Great turn out and enjoyed some fantastic food. Good to see everyone again and also meet new folks

The time came and went too fast. We all look forward to a great fishing season coming.

Thanks to my fishing partners today Bill Lowell & Al Morehouse for the help at the awards weigh in.

Thanks to Todd Smith, Point Bay Marina and Crew for Hosting Us.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the cookout your presence and food make the whole thing special.

Thank you To Kevin Kelsey From Ed Weed Hatchery for his update of the operation and success with their rearing programs.
To Kurt Heim from US Fish & Wildlife for his presentation of scale sampling and research ongoing with Landlocks in Champlain
Thanks to Ed "Chessieman" for bringing Eric? from NY DEC and presenting progress in excluding Round Gobies from Lake Champlain

See everyone on the Pond!

Randy & Al

Last edited by Surprise on Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Fish On!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: Frostbite Shootout 2023 Results

Post by raz »

Very nice! Congrats to Jeremy and Reggie...Well done fella's!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Congrats FATHEAD. Sorry I couldn't make it. But if I was a betting man, Reggie and Jeremy are tough to beat! The Swenor goes to a good home ... at least for a year! There are many that I missed by not attending... I hope we stay in touch! I ended the night last night in Middlebury which started with a family dinner at Fire and Ice. I understand that Todd is in the Outer Banks, hopefully into some fish and enjoying himself!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Congrats Jeremy and Reggie!!!

Couldn’t have been won by a better crew:)

Fish on!!!
Matt B
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

Congrats to Jeremy and Reggie on their beautiful fish!!!!thanks to Randy and crew for all their work for putting this great day together,it was nice to see everyone and get to bs and tell some stories.thanks to point bay marina for allowing us to use their facilities.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
FATHEAD
Species: salmon

Post by FATHEAD »

Thanks Randy and to everyone involved in this event. Reggie asked me a few days ago if I wanted to go with him and I said sure. We started out at daybreak and scouted around a bit finding some action in the middle of the lake some small salmon a few lakers and some white perch. About 9 am I was telling him a story of how I won 2 derby’s in NY with the song Kryptonite playing so we put it on . Well guess what it worked again we had one salmon on a rigger Reggie was messing with when I see the 4 color leadcore bent over and hammering I grab it and we see the nice salmon jump back in the distance oh boy now it’s game on with 2 other jumps and digging hard at the boat Reggie netted the salmon up. Yee haww wevtook it out of net put it in the livewell never measured it or weighed we knew we had a contender. I am sure Supercab was looking down on us during that battle with all smiles. The salmon ate a black and chartheuse Mooselock wobbler with a black back on 4 colors of 15 pound leadcore and a 50 foot fluorocarbon leader. Great day and great event to be a part of . Fish On !!!
Last edited by FATHEAD on Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

Well done guys. What a nice Salmon.
Very fitting, Reggie, for you to award the 1st Judd Swenor Memorial Trophy to your partner, Jeremy.
Another fun Frostbite Derby in the books, run by the Master of Ceremonies and Caterers Supreme, Randy and Kathy.
Glad to see Kevin Kelsey, who gave us a very informed update on the Grand Isle Hatchery doings as well as Kurt Heim, USFW who discussed the Genetics program in NY Rivers
Always fun fishing with both Al and Randy, thanks guys
FISH ON
Bill
"POINTER"
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Congrats Jeremy and Reggie on your win.
Thanks Randy and Kathy for organizing such a great event, and all the volunteers who helped.
Even if I was not able to attend for a few years, it is always a pleasure to see the pics and videos of all the smiling faces and happy attendees.
Happy Frostbite season to all.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Surprise

Post by Surprise »

Just Back from the Engraver. Lookie Here :D

Now off to Jeremy for him to hold until next Year!

Congratulations Pal!
Fish On!
Surprise

Post by Surprise »

Today I met with Jeremy Lucia the 2023 FrostBite Shootout Winner to hand off the Jud Swenor Memorial Trophy.
Joining us today at Snaps Restaurant in Bristol were past winners Ron Winter 2010 & 2016 and Bill Bryden 2011.

We had a great lunch and Gabfest with lots of Laughs and stories told of past adventures on the Lake.

Great to see you guys and Thanks for Sharing the Day.

This has been a challenging year just to get in time on the water keeping this in mind :D

Fish On!
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Nice seeing Randy / Fathead and his best friend SeaBill. I enjoy these lunch get togethers to hand off the trophy after the engraving is done! The food at Snaps is amazing! Thanks for the invitation Randy and great seeing the guys!