Port Henry - 10/19

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Port Henry - 10/19

Post by ChessieMan »

I guess it's called a "Shake-down" trip for a reason.

Got to PH at 8AM and it was calm and flat - loaded and launched only to find the poppet vent was plugged (an annual event) a few minutes of cursing and prodding freed the clog and I was heading out onto the lake.

Turned on the Humminbird and the display says - "Loading Charts" - this is ok cause I just updated the Navionics card and figured it would take a few minutes - started to rig rods only to find the upper section on my old Wright-McGill DR rod broken - good thing the Okumas are a bit more robust.

Finished rigging rods and headed north - H-Bird - still - "Loading Charts" - but way points are displayed - just no chart???????

Get to Fishville - a slight chop as south wind is picking up. Still no chart, but the depth chart is working - set lines and started on the 90-100 break - no fish, no bait.

Get halfway to Dudley - H-B - still "loading charts" - surface temp 58F - thermocline kind of sketchy - about 55' down 48F. A few fish here and there, nothing to get excited about.

No Navionics is starting to PO me - checked internet - seems a not uncommon problem - quick fix is to pull card and go to HB chart - that worked and Yeah, I got depth chart.

Crossed to VT, a couple small bait balls at 110', but still no significant number of bigger fish. Wind is coming up, chop now building to 1 footers. Nothing on VT side, crossed back to NY - coming out of 110' on sharp break at Dudley - DR fires off - Finally! - a little 14" silver shaker on a CI Blue Moon.

it's now 12:30, 1 footers heading to 2 and cresting - going south is bumpy - Not a quitter, but it's time to pull the plug.

Crossed back to VT and ran south in relative calm - got wet crossing side-too into PH - tied off to ramp (Yup they were still in) and got the truck - backed down and the boat is gone! Tied it off with a "Knot-less Knot" and it's floating away -- a rock tied to a rope saved me from swimming - Got the boat, a coffee and went home.

South end of the lake is not ready yet - next week - Westport north.
finsntins
Species: salmon

Re: Port Henry - 10/19

Post by finsntins »

thanks for the report ed,hopefully you got the bugs all worked out and glad you got your boat back!!!
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Thanks for the report I was gonna head south on my next trip. Sounds like I better stay north for a while.

Loved reading your story. please keep ‘em Comming!

Matt
Matt B
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Hi Ed, looks like you had an interesting day, with multiple things happening.
At least you were lucky to spend time on the water.
Last edited by Gecha (Gerry) on Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Loved reading this.
At least your Shake-down is outta the way.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry