Lakers and salmon Westport area

Tricky Trout
Species: Trout

Lakers and salmon Westport area

Post by Tricky Trout »

We are changing marinas next spring to The Westport Marina. Just wondering about Lake Trout and Salmon fishing in that area ? Any advice would be much appreciated ?
Thanks
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Lakers and salmon Westport area

Post by Reelax »

Where are you moving from? Would help to give you better info. Barber pt and south to port Henery have about 5 hot spots that I LOVE to hit. If I could pick a staring spot for salmon on lake Champlain it would be Westport. So you chose well!!!

I’ll be down there Sunday in the rain. If you wanna see some good spots look for Reelax:)

Fish on!
Matt B
traymond34
Species: Champlain

Post by traymond34 »

I’ve been fishing that area for a few years now. Fishing seems best around 10am. Any idea why?? I would think it would be better first thing in the morning!
traymond34

Post by traymond34 »

Attachments
IMG_5338.jpeg
IMG_5338.jpeg (155.98 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
IMG_3177.jpeg
IMG_3177.jpeg (159.25 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

Post by cpmaple »

Nice fish, those pics don't look like today's weather lol. I've always had good luck from sun up to noon most day. I launch 95% of the time from port Henry an motor north. Unless its a really hard blow. Cpmaple
traymond34

Post by traymond34 »

Photos are from last June. I keep my boat at Champlain Bridge Marina. We do well just north of the bridge in May and slide up to Westport in July and August. September, I haven’t figured out how to catch the lakers yet. I can chart tons of them but they seem almost dormant. Come Columbus Day we fish up by split rock and Thompson point. Any advice on September tatics would be much appreciated.
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

Post by cpmaple »

traymond34 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:15 am Photos are from last June. I keep my boat at Champlain Bridge Marina. We do well just north of the bridge in May and slide up to Westport in July and August. September, I haven’t figured out how to catch the lakers yet. I can chart tons of them but they seem almost dormant. Come Columbus Day we fish up by split rock and Thompson point. Any advice on September tatics would be much appreciated.
I'm not one to give advise on targeting Lakers aka (slim darts) that's one fish I never go after. Yes I do put some in the boat while after salmon. But from what I've read an heard bit slower speed for them. Very seldom do I go any farther north than Northwest bay sometimes I might hit the north shore up to snake den. But I've always put fish in the boat from port Henry to Westport might not be great numbers but don't get skunked either.
Pcraft237
Species: All

Post by Pcraft237 »

Depending on time of year and temps you can stay inside the bay and often do well. A 20 or so minute run gets you North to Split Rock area/ whallonsbay. Both produce a lot of fish. And you often times find a big difference in temperature from main lake into Whallons Bay. Vermont side is also productive.