Protection for your boat windshield over the road!

Share info on fishing Champlain.
digitroll (ron)

Protection for your boat windshield over the road!

Post by digitroll (ron) »

With the thousands of miles I put on my boat trailer every season it was time to get something to protect the boat windshield. I have had two cases of broken glass the last two years. Once at the sandbar last year and coming home from Ontario in July. Well it was time to do something about it!

This product (Flack Jacket) is easy to take on and off and comes with extra snaps to install if needed. They make all different sizes depending on the boat model.

https://www.flackjaket.com

Imageimages upload
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Protection for your boat windshield over the road!

Post by Reelax »

Interesting. Compared to windshield replacement cost how does the cost of the protector set you back? IE windshield was 1200 and protector was 300. Just looking for a cost benefit outlook…

Sorry to hear 2 windshields in such a short time. I see some stone dings in mine but no cracks or blow outs yet…

Does concern me though….
Matt B
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

When the port side curved part was shattered at the sandbar by a passing truck and cars I watched it explode in my rear view mirror last year on the drivers side truck near the double lines in the road in late May. Coincidence me seeing that. The entire windshield had to be replaced due they cannot replicate the curved side. $2,400 with freight and tax. $400 for labor. Boat Headquarters my only Starcraft dealer choice in Vermont. This event caused me to lose 2.5 months of water time during the prime salmon fishing window last Summer. Another reason my season legal salmon numbers were very low. This event was covered by my boat insurance. $500 deductible.

This year when I got home from my Ontario trip in July and backing in the driveway I noticed the center door flat portion of the windshield was busted out. Luckily Burlington glass only charged me $200 for a plexiglass temporary replacement until the ordered tempered piece of glass came in a few weeks. That included labor and tax. Very reasonable and simple to replace. I removed the glass frame door and brought it to them. Very simple for me to remove and put back when the glass was replaced and the temporary plexiglass. No lost time on the water.

The Flack Jacket was $375. Cheap insurance for another disaster! US made. I am now gun shy of this happening again if I didn't have any protection. The Flack Jacket is very well made and fits nice and unless a sledge hammer hits it I believe the windshield will be safe now. What surprises me is how common this happens to other boaters towing their boats on the highway. Naive after 40 years but the last two years back to back is an eye opener.
striper192001
Species: salmon

Post by striper192001 »

I bought a similar one from Cabela's for less. It certainly doesn't look as sleek or fit as well as yours seems to. I also sometimes forget to put it on. I got it because of all the posts online of windshields blowing out. I will remember to put it on going forward.
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

And if you need a windshield or a part of it you can do business with them (they do business in the US also)
They got a solid reputation: https://flexafab.com/