advice for my first trip to Lake Champlain

Share info on fishing Champlain.
dremarquis
Species: All

advice for my first trip to Lake Champlain

Post by dremarquis »

Hello all,
I am hoping to make my first trip to Lake Champlain this Thurs-Sunday. I am fairly competent trolling for salmonids and casting for bass, as well as jigging for lake trout. My boat is only 17', so i'm hoping the winds cooperate. We will be camping on Valcour Island. I have heard that this is not the best time for LLs because they will be entering the streams soon. Any advice will be GREATLY APPRECIATED. I won't be able to fish this lake more than once every few years, so I won't be burning up spots etc. Feel free to send me a private message.
Thank you!
Andre
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: advice for my first trip to Lake Champlain

Post by Reelax »

Try salmon 45-80foot down over 100-200 fow. Find bait and 55-56 deg and setup just above it. Troll 2.4 mph on fishhawk and don’t pay any attention to gps speed. It will be way off from where you wanna pull spoons due to currents. Use flashkings, needle fish, honey bees and crazy Ivan’s that are 2-2.5” long. Dodgers and fly can also work. Use 8-10lb flouro leaders and as small of hardware as you can. If fleas are an issue you may need to run 30lb test rigger line. If not 14-18 is fine.

From yiur starting location I’d head south till then next big island and setup just south of that:)

Good luck and let us know how you do.
Matt B
dremarquis

Post by dremarquis »

Matt,
thank you VERY MUCH!
andre
dremarquis

Post by dremarquis »

Hi Matt,
I may be foolish here, but looking at Google Maps, I don't see a large island south of Valcour Island.
Can you help me out here?
thanks,
andre
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Quite a few miles south. skyler island
Matt B
dremarquis

Post by dremarquis »

All I can say about Lake Champlain is WOW!!!!!!!!
I've lived in NY for 19 years and explored most of it and I think this lake is the most beautiful thing in the state!
Although i really wanted to catch some LLs, we did not get any of those, but we must have caught 30+ lakers (both trolling and jigging) - also caught my first ever whitefish (jigging, 4 pounds).
Also caught some beautiful, fat smallies - trolling and casting.
All in all a wonderful trip, but way too short!
andre