Better late than never! 2023 DYP Video

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
VT2U
Species: Lake Trout, Salmon, Bass

Better late than never! 2023 DYP Video

Post by VT2U »

Hello everybody,

I had a great time at this year's DYP tournament, got some incredible footage and proceeded to sit on it for a few months. It's a terrible habit.

Good news! I finally started digging through my backlog and the DYP tourny video is finished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHYS2JCsXxA

I had such a good time with Jack and Liam. I had some really crazy struggles with my movie editing software towards the end of this process, so there are a few things that didn't make it in I wanted to share with the LCU folks:

1. Shank the skunk - The guys apparently have skunks on all their boats, and they do this because they are territorial and it keeps the skunk away. I am still laughing thinking about this and it was one of the funniest things of the whole day for me. I really enjoy the strange traditions and superstitions we all indulge in and a stuffed skunk was the last thing I thought they'd pull out of the storage area.

2. Releasing the huge laker - Jack spent a lot of time trying to revive the huge laker Liam caught and while the effort was great it didn't really make for good video. It was hard choosing to cut this stuff out but I just wanted to point out that Jack could have easily driven off and kept targeting salmon but he took the time to try to get it down with multiple attempts.

3. All the cooking / food - There was such an amazing spread of stuff to share and I wish I had gotten better video of that. I'm glad I tried the frog legs but my stomach was not pleased with that decision. I'll try anything once :)

It was an awesome experience and I'm definitely interested in getting out for some more laker trolling or jigging in the future.
striper192001
Species: salmon

Re: Better late than never! 2023 DYP Video

Post by striper192001 »

Great footage Matt !!
Amazing how happy I was to have that Big Jon rigger damaged. I want to thank everyone here for all their help !

I do have a couple questions for the brain trust here. I bought a pair of used Scotty downriggers and am getting used to them.

I can't seem to get the covers to "lock" down. This causes the counter to spin and not read properly. Also when I motor down the lake the cover opens on the port rigger. Is this something that happens with this model/vintage ? Is there a fix? The lever to lock it on top doesn't seem to work or I am not doing it right. 't

The gravity drop feature seems really fast, I try to feather it to slow it down. Do the lures ever get tangled if you drop them too fast ?

I have had the belts jump off a couple times and I was able to get them back on and recover. Is this due to wear and could the belts be stretched and need replacement ? Wondering if I should buy couple pairs and replace and have extras on hand.
There was a couple handles that came that look like they are emergency crank handles. I haven't had to use them but looked at how they may work and it looks like I might need to remove the counter to use them. Is that right ?

Thanks again for all your help everyone, especially Jack, Matt and Dean..........I am sure I am forgetting someone !

John
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Better late than never! 2023 DYP Video

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for the video.
Looks like a great time aboard the Country Angler, and with the DYP participants.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)