how was fishing this week

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Profishinglure
Species: Salmon

how was fishing this week

Post by Profishinglure »

Hi everybody

I fish douglass area and since this saturday i catch nothing. No hit all day for 2 days ( saturday and sunday ) and a friend who fishing the same place today no hit

Not only for salmon but for laker too

Do you have the same result and did in the south of the lake ( wesport and converse area ) the fishing is good

Tks everyone
Red Barchetta
Species: Trout

Re: how was fishing this week

Post by Red Barchetta »

Fished all day yesterday in that area, nothing....
We normally do exceptionally well this time of year trolling and jigging for lakers, but not one laker bit or even followed a lure.
I did have a 4-5 lb salmon (22-24") on at the end of day while trolling surface (15-25' down over 65-85'); hooked it by accident, retrieving a rigger line with cheater. The water fleas were on my line so thick the end of my rod had what was a golf ball size clump of them and the cheater swivel was trapped in it. While cleaning it off and paying no attention the the other lure dangling 20' back, a salmon smacked it (to my disbelief!), but it came off after a sharp 20' run on surface.
Was my worse day ever for me on Champ, as the water looked continues to be stirred up in a lot of areas, with plenty of weeds, sticks, branches and just all around turbidity. All boats I spoke with had the same dismal results to report as well.
I recon it's goin to take at least a week of calm sunny weather to stabilize the lake.
I welcome any blogger feedback on when you think the lake returns to normal.
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

After back surgery, I haven't been on the lake all summer. But yesterday I was at the boat, tied to to the dock, and I couldn't even find yellow perch to use for bait! I caught several smallmouths, but the lake is high, colored, and unsettled. Smallmouths were released and the bowfin are safe, for now.
60Fishman
Species: lake trout, salmon, bass

Post by 60Fishman »

Had the same experience as Red. Fished yesterday, Sunday. Normally do pretty well jigging especially this time of year. The fish are usually somewhat predictable once you hone in on the depth. Tried all my normal spots and a couple new ones. Marked hardly anything, had a couple short follows, but not a single bite. It has been over 4 years since I have been skunked on that lake going after Lakers, jigging or trolling. Had 3 rods with 3 different jig set ups and rotated them, nothing. The current was so bad in a couple spots I would toss the jig 30-50 feet from the boat so it woould drift under my sonar. I would get maybe 1-2 minutes before it would drift under the boat and out of view. That is with 3/4 and 1 OZ jigs. In one bay the current was flowing south, some sort of giant eddy effect, in 90 feet of water. Have never seen the current like that in that location.

Anyway after 3.5 hours of beating my head against the wall I grabbed the bass rod, moved and at least caught some smallmouths. I am going to wait a couple weeks and hopefully the water calms down. I will say the weather was great, slight breeze, great day to be out, just no fish that I coluld find.
Profishinglure
Species: Salmon

Post by Profishinglure »

Tks for your reply foe me july 26 th 5/7 lakers around 70 down in 125 feet and no salmon

All my laker has none fish in the estomac so it’snot a good news

To be continued
Red Barchetta
Species: Trout

Post by Red Barchetta »

Profishinglure wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:27 pm Tks for your reply foe me july 26 th 5/7 lakers around 70 down in 125 feet and no salmon

All my laker has none fish in the estomac so it’snot a good news

To be continued
But that's much better than getting skunked!
Incredible how stirred up the lake got in such short time, and how it affected fish patterns/behavior.
I'm off to the Vermont side(to please my teenager son ;) to fish bays for bass and pike and will give my hand a walleyes too, on a few spots I've been told can hold good numbers. Hopefully the lake settles down, and the fish return to more predicable spots/patterns, as August can be a fantastic month for both #'s and size!