Where to mount Scotty's

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
striper192001
Species: salmon

Where to mount Scotty's

Post by striper192001 »

Should probably direct this to Reelax, Digitroll, and Homewrecker..........name escapes me at this moment. You guys have same size boat I have. What is recommended spot to mount a single set of riggers given that :

Boat will be using for fishing/family cruising/pulling tubes...
Only two downriggers mounted on boat

Maybe I am too focused on leaving things in place like the cleats etc.......

Anyway..........help is appreciated. I have just about mounted the new Fish Hawk. Now I need to mount the new to me Scottys.....

I appreciate all your help guys.......

John
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Where to mount Scotty's

Post by Reelax »

Always install any riggers as far back toward transom as possible. This will keep tangles in turns to a minimum. If you run 4 riggers try to get the cables to enter water all in a parallel line as close to transom as possible. I run my small inside riggers straight to side and run outside riggers with booms fully extended with booms kicked back toward inside riggers so all 4 cables enter water at transom in a line. That will cause minimum issues in turns. I run pancake weights bent out to move my outside balls away for clearance. At 20ft down, I think they are 5ft wider that entering water:)

I get 4 riggers in 3 feet of gunwal this way:)

Trial and error will fine tune your rigger set to your hull… stay in touch. Cause setting up a boat is a blast!

Fish on!

Let us know how your install turns out.
Attachments
IMG_0865.jpeg
IMG_0865.jpeg (157.19 KiB) Viewed 542 times
Matt B
striper192001
Species: salmon

Re: Where to mount Scotty's

Post by striper192001 »

That is really helpful.........thanks much Matt !