Anyone using these on their bunk trailers?

Share info on fishing Champlain.
striper192001
Species: salmon

Anyone using these on their bunk trailers?

Post by striper192001 »

Anyone using these on their bunks ?

https://www.amazon.com/Caliber-Trailer- ... th=1&psc=1

Also......I need to replace boards on the guides to be sure boat is centered. I imagine I should use cedar. Can I just use some outdoor carpeting to wrap them or should I buy the kits they sell ? Matt.......I know that you just replaced your main bunks

Thanks for any help.....

John
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Anyone using these on their bunk trailers?

Post by Reelax »

I just bought these off Amazon. Got 7 years from Original, hoping for same with these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076HZWPHP?re ... H6SQCB3Y3B
Matt B
striper192001
Species: salmon

Post by striper192001 »

Looks like these would work for my side guides......

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M12AR2P/re ... NrPXRydWU=

Thanks Matt. I thought I heard some issue between PT and aluminum and someone said to use cedar. Although these aren't touching the boat most of the time.
John
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Post by Ahhspray »

I use a similar product(can't find a link). I'd recommend them. We don't power load so it's nice to have something slicker than carpeted bunks when cranking in the boat the last few feet when that's needed. Hasn't yet happened to us, but be wary of the boat slipping off of these prematurely as you back down the ramp. They're quite slick on an aluminum hull. On steeper ramps, I leave the winch hooked up until it's in the water as a safety.
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Post by Ahhspray »

striper192001 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:09 am I thought I heard some issue between PT and aluminum and someone said to use cedar. Although these aren't touching the boat most of the time.
John
PT lumber can cause corrosion of aluminum. PT seems like a good solution for a rotten transom since it can survive water, but an aluminum transom won't survive PT for long.
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
jcmg8
Species: any

Post by jcmg8 »

Head to vermont speciality plastic in Tafts Corners, 1/2 of 4x8 HDPE on top of PT boards, set for life.
Attachments
20230415_085112.jpg
20230415_085112.jpg (240.73 KiB) Viewed 3008 times
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

jcmg8 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:05 am Head to vermont speciality plastic in Tafts Corners, 1/2 of 4x8 HDPE on top of PT boards, set for life.
Wow that looks like a nice setup!!!!

Thanks for sharing:)
Matt B
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Vt Home and Marine has 12 ft carpeted bunks ready to go $100 each. Just had them cut mine down to 10 ft to match my original ones from 2013 on my Shorelandr trailer a month ago. I installed them one morning at the Malletts Bay launch with help. This was more cost effective than buying the carpet and doing yourself with boards from Lowe's. I did consider the plastic covered bunk slicks but my concern was creating scuff marks on my hull in the paint with this option when driving the boat on. I like the carpeted soft appeal of bunks! Good for another 10 years!

dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

digitroll (ron) wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:22 am Vt Home and Marine has 12 ft carpeted bunks ready to go $100 each. Just had them cut mine down to 10 ft to match my original ones from 2013 on my Shorelandr trailer a month ago. I installed them one morning at the Malletts Bay launch with help. This was more cost effective than buying the carpet and doing yourself with boards from Lowe's. I did consider the plastic covered bunk slicks but my concern was creating scuff marks on my hull in the paint with this option when driving the boat on. I like the carpeted soft appeal of bunks! Good for another 10 years!

Ron, what kind of wood are these?
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

The original ones were cedar I believe. But were soaked with water and weighed a ton when I took them off. I should've replaced them a few years ago as the carpet was almost smooth like the carpet in your house after 15 years. The new ones are pressure treated boards but not sure the wood identification.