Any Recipes for cooking Rainbows?

Share your recipes! We all love to eat!
Speedy
Species: Trout/Salmon

Any Recipes for cooking Rainbows?

Post by Speedy »

Got a dozen or more rainbow trout in the freezer. Don't have a smoker. Anybody have any ideas as to how to get the "Fishy" taste out
of rainbow trout. I read post from last year using fillets of Lakers 20-28". These clean rainbows are 12"-18". Tried the cookbook's "Trout Almondine"
and the kids say it still tastes like "Kitty food". Have to make room for the salmon this Spring. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Speedy
Speedy

Re: Any Recipes for cooking Rainbows?

Post by Speedy »

[img]
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

testing photo attach
sconnie
Species: Trout, bass, pike, pans

Post by sconnie »

Check out Alaskan fish and game for some recipe ideas. I would likely do fish cakes with light breading.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

I'd Call It A PIG Roast :lol:
Fish On!
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

sconnie wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:49 am Check out Alaskan fish and game for some recipe ideas. I would likely do fish cakes with light breading.

Thanks..I'll look them up. Gotta cook and eat a dozen or so out here in AZ before I head back to Vermont in a month for salmon.
ATLSALMON
Species: Saltwater & trout & salmon

Post by ATLSALMON »

Lemon pepper trout I think you can get the recipe from Cracker Barrel theirs is excellent
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

ImageAfter a lot of research and trial & error I have come up with a cure to get rid of that “Fishy” taste in trout. First I admit I was cleaning my trout the “Old School” New Jersey way, of gutting and cleaning the blood off backbone, scaling and freezing with skin on. Wrong! New way…Bleed the fish while on the water…fillet the fish out there. (keep the whole fish carcass intact in case Game Wardens want to check size), put the fillets wrapped in plastic on ice. Don’t freeze, just refrigerate. Cook them ASAP.
“Speedy’s” Fish Cakes (crab cakes) : Add 1 lb. cubed salmon/trout to food processor, Add 2 TB chopped green onion, 1 TB chopped parsley, 1 TSP Lemon juice, 1/4 TSP cayenne pepper, 4 TB chopped red/green sweet pepper, ½ TSP salt. Pulse food processor about 10 times or until mixed. Transfer into large bowl.
Add ¾ cup Panko bread crumbs (or toast a few slices of your own bread, blend it to crumbs in blender)
Add 2 TB mayonnaise, 1 TSP Worcestershire sauce, 2 TB Dijon mustard, 1 TB Lemon juice, 1 Large egg whipped, 1 TB Old Bay Season (sea food magic ingredient) , Stir to combine. Divide into 4 or 5 servings and shape into patties. Roll each patty in your bread crumbs again. Put in refrigerator for a while to chill (hold into shape). Put some of your favorite cooking oil in skillet and brown each side several minutes , (or deep- fry) but stove top cooking is fine. When they are golden brown they are done. No Fishy taste goes good with glass of wine or several beers. LOL Enjoy .. “Speedy Fish Cakes”After a lot of research and trial & error I have come up with a cure to get rid of that “Fishy” taste in trout. Image
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

The River Rat
Species: Anything that swims

Post by The River Rat »

That sounds and looks amazing. Definitely going to try it with trout and also some walleye or other white fish.
A White