Investigating Southern Lake Salmon Hype

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Investigating Southern Lake Salmon Hype

Post by Detritus »

After the reports last week, I figured it would be busy down there, and I was really curious to see what was going on. Unfortunately, my usual crew wasn't going to be available on Sunday to go down. Brody was helping a friend move, and Liam was in the woods with Wabbler with his spare Muzzleloader. Fortunately, two members of what we call the "Second Litter" at my house agreed to crew the trip, as well as Dilly Worm at the helm. It was a good thing he was there, as I was busy the entire trip. We launched and fished with the crew of the Paddy Whacker. Talked to the Reelax guys out there as well.

KIMG0795.JPG
KIMG0795.JPG (76.44 KiB) Viewed 830 times

I'll keep this one short, with a little summary of technique and stats.

Set 4 riggers at about 8:30, with inline cowbells on one, spoons and sliding cheaters on all. 2 leadcore inline planers off to the sides, 3 colors down, 1 color out. Almost too windy for those. Fished 2.3-2.8 SOG, over 90-160 FOW. Good bait returns everywhere we boated fish on the sonar, occasional big predator returns under the bait, but didn't correlate with boating fish. Tess' youth master angler laker came off of the leadcore, 1 fish came off of a rigger, the rest were all cheater fish. Riggers we're set at 42, and 32, cheaters approximately halfway down. It was all Salmon for Ozzy, finishing the morning at noon with a count of 8/8, 6 salmon, 2 Lakers. Biggest salmon was 18" 2.6lbs, biggest laker was 26" 5.6lbs. all fish released healthy. Food was sausage, egg, cheese, seasoned waffle fry breakfast sandwiches, with raspberries and blueberries, Orange juice, and grape juice.

Thanks again Dilly for doing all of the driving, and finding the fish.
Attachments
KIMG0778~2.JPG
KIMG0778~2.JPG (105.18 KiB) Viewed 830 times
KIMG0779~2.JPG
KIMG0779~2.JPG (88.42 KiB) Viewed 830 times
KIMG0783~2.JPG
KIMG0783~2.JPG (98.96 KiB) Viewed 830 times
KIMG0784~2.JPG
KIMG0784~2.JPG (100.67 KiB) Viewed 830 times
KIMG0788~2.JPG
KIMG0788~2.JPG (85.5 KiB) Viewed 830 times
KIMG0791~2.JPG
KIMG0791~2.JPG (77.08 KiB) Viewed 830 times
KIMG0792~2.JPG
KIMG0792~2.JPG (84.58 KiB) Viewed 830 times
KIMG0789~2.JPG
KIMG0789~2.JPG (87.88 KiB) Viewed 830 times
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Re: Investigating Southern Lake Salmon Hype

Post by ChessieMan »

Love the smiles
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great seeing you Guys out there, even better with the all
Junior deck crew!!! Love the smiles and the pirate cap!!

You guys musta had a blast judging from the pics..

Fish on!
Matt B
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

I really had a great time seeing (and hearing) how excited both kids got every time they reeled in a fish. Lots of fun with good company, good fishing, and Xmas music on the boat stereo !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

That first picture does look like a pirate hat doesn't it. It's actually a boonie hat, we just call them fishing hats at our house. Got a string so they don't blow off, keeps the sun off your ears, and doesn't matter if they get crumpled up and stuffed in a bag.

But, your comment gives me a heck of an idea. Ever since I saw Dean dressed up as Santa Claus right down to the boots fishing with a couple of other grown men without a kid in sight, I've wondered how I could top that awesomeness.

Two words: Hector Barbosa.

Pretty elaborate costume to put together though.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

Ok! Been waiting for a Post/Update from the Country Angler crew/Detritus for a bit now. Being a Father myself, of similar aged kids, I always find your posts Fun, Amusing and in a way, Inspiring. Just a couple of notes, if you'll allow :D

1st:
Great Post :D :!: :D. Loving those Big Smiles and the fact that you have another top-tier, L.C.U Member @ the helm, makes me smile in return (I've had a few members come aboard my boat, and have met a few members in person, but I would Love to expand my knowledge by either tagging along, or of course having a guest or two on my Vessell! : idea:)

2nd:
The "First Litter"better watch out ! Looks like "Litter #2" has exponentially moved up in the ranks!

3rd:
I would imagine that the "Hector Barbossa" ensemble would be a fairly reasonable venture. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to the "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise but, if I'm not mistaken, you may want to consult with your Dentist before going "All In" on that one! :lol: :!: :lol: :shock: :mrgreen:

4th and Last:
I commend you and Dillyworm for keeping the Fire well lit, and showing the young anglers what awaits them, right outside the door!

As always, Great Post!

Best,
Ej (TruViking) :) :geek: :)