Westport and north and docking boat at launch

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Pcraft237
Species: All

Westport and north and docking boat at launch

Post by Pcraft237 »

On the water about 7:30 with a friend along. Ran out from launch about 1/2 mile and stopped to jig lakers. Had a couple of hits when my friend says Got one. Put up a good fight, told buddy to let fish stay down 10-12 feet until you see bubbles. Fish blew out bubbles and we brought in a 10 pound laker. Clean, no lampreys. I picked up a 4 pounder shortly later. Then headed north checking various areas for fish before heading to the Charlotte ferry landing. Friend hooked into a 9 pound laker that took line back to bottom after having up halfway. I picked up an 8 pounder. All abut 80 ft of water. It was getting hot so headed back.
Got to launch, a sailboat tied up at left dock, a fellow just pulling into the right side dock. Waited for guy to retrieve truck and load boat. Didn’t seem to be anyone with the sailboat. Guy pulled boat, I pulled up to right dock, friend holding boat, I headed to get truck. Took a walk over by sailboat. A guy sitting inside doing something unrelated to sailing off. He was using it as a docking space. No intention of leaving. Maybe I was wrong to point out that it’s a boat launch, not a private docking space? Did anyway. Reply was I haven’t been here that long. Regardless, it’s a launch, put your boat in move on. Answer- why don’t you mind your own business? Why don’t you do like other boaters, launch or load and clear out of launch area. Seemed like he decided it was best to move on as I was leaving. Boat etiquette? I would never think of doing what he was.
Pcraft237

Re: Westport and north and docking boat at launch

Post by Pcraft237 »

Fish
Attachments
21DD01A4-EB28-4FEA-AA7C-3477E4EDEA02.jpeg
21DD01A4-EB28-4FEA-AA7C-3477E4EDEA02.jpeg (211.92 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
63769CF8-3902-4277-90D8-F3D877161866.jpeg
63769CF8-3902-4277-90D8-F3D877161866.jpeg (193.99 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
9CF9A10E-7223-4635-81E5-8644F77CF3CB.jpeg
9CF9A10E-7223-4635-81E5-8644F77CF3CB.jpeg (144.88 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
saltr
Species: LLS

Post by saltr »

We have seen similar scenarios several times this season at Westport. Had one of the Marina salesman do an hour long presentation to a new owner while tied to one of the docks. Had boats and trailers backed up three deep. I mentioned to him that he was plugging up the boat launch, and his response was, yes I know that. WTF!
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

If you want a lesson in patience go to Converse.
Fishinpole
Species: Trout/Salmon

Post by Fishinpole »

The same at Willsboro.They come in from their Yachts in a dingy to walk the dog or use the bathroom. Very few park to the side like you should.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I recall a story of a sailboat up in the Sea 15 years ago when the launch wasn't improved yet. We were out after dark fishing walleyes and suddenly a hard down pour started out of nowhere. We made our was back to the shallow launch dock to the left and there was a sailboat tied up to the the dock. In a hard rain I had to jump out of my boat in the water to get the truck and trailer. I think he was there for the night. Not good!
Pcraft237

Post by Pcraft237 »

A few years back I was launching boat out of Willsboro. Boat was 3/4 in water as I’m backing it in with a F-150 pickup. I look back to see a sailboater drive his dingy right behind me to tie up. Hey what’s going on, I’m launching my boat. Oh, I didn’t see you. Really? Full-size truck with 16 ft boat in trailer and you didn’t see me? Drag your ? out of the way.
I wouldn’t have patience to wait for someone deliberately blocking access. I did offer to untie his boat and give him a push to get going.
60Fishman
Species: lake trout, salmon, bass

Post by 60Fishman »

Not to be biased but I bet if they ever did a survey of boat launching etiquette they would find that fisherman are by far the best and by a wide margin. Not just being courteous but also the skill to get in out out of the launch in a reasonable time. How many times have we been caught behind a recreational boater who has pulled up to the launch and is not ready, is still emptying stuff out of the truck into the boeat etc. Every fisherman I have ever seen has his boat off to the side gets it ready then launches. One time on Schroon Lake one family launched their boat only to discover thay had no gas in the tank after repeadted attempts to start. That boat plugged up a launch ramp for over a half hour before he could go get a few gallons just to get started and out of the way. Another time a guy could not get his boat down the ramp to save his life. I finally asked if he needed help and another guy who was watching backed it down for him. We all had to learn that once, I know I did. But I took my boat to a lauch early in the season in the middle of the week and practiced for a good half hour going up and down until I felt pretty confident I could do it in crowded conditions.
Pcraft237

Post by Pcraft237 »

I’ve noticed the same with guys fishing. Pull in off to side, do what needs to be done out of the way. Launch the boat, park and move out. Also had fisherman offering help whether needed or not. It’s quite obvious, fellows who fish are just great people.
saltr
Species: LLS

Post by saltr »

I am in agreement with all of the above!